Default Can My Shoplifting (Among Other) Offenses Prevent Me from Getting a Learners License

My question involves criminal law for the state of: New york (Westchester county)

Hello. I'm a seventeen year old female and I'm going to start applying for my learners permit and full license soon. My criminal record includes posession of marijuana (june 2008), disorderly conduct(petit larceny) from april 2009, and last monday I was arrested and charged for petit larceny and criminal tresspassing (my last disorderly was a conditional discharge, so it's also being brought against me when I go to court). The LP said he was gonna make the police charge me with a felony (burglary), which tbh I didn't really believe, but it was instead a misdemeanor. I was worried about going to jail, but I have a good lawyer and we're working everything out with that.

My real question is, could all these things on my criminal record prevent me from getting a learners permit, junior license and full license? I'm worried about that because I know it's going to affect the kinds of jobs I'm gonna get in the near future (and possibly for the rest of my life!) and I can't go on not having my license anymore. I need to get a job.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Can My Shoplifting (Among Other) Offenses Prevent Me from Getting a Learners Lice

Quote Quoting radiogreen
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: New york (Westchester county)

Hello. I'm a seventeen year old female and I'm going to start applying for my learners permit and full license soon. My criminal record includes posession of marijuana (june 2008), disorderly conduct(petit larceny) from april 2009, and last monday I was arrested and charged for petit larceny and criminal tresspassing (my last disorderly was a conditional discharge, so it's also being brought against me when I go to court). The LP said he was gonna make the police charge me with a felony (burglary), which tbh I didn't really believe, but it was instead a misdemeanor. I was worried about going to jail, but I have a good lawyer and we're working everything out with that.

My real question is, could all these things on my criminal record prevent me from getting a learners permit, junior license and full license? I'm worried about that because I know it's going to affect the kinds of jobs I'm gonna get in the near future (and possibly for the rest of my life!) and I can't go on not having my license anymore. I need to get a job.

Thanks in advance.
    Don't make plans - I see a bus pass in your future and you have no one to blame but yourself.

Default Re: Can My Shoplifting (Among Other) Offenses Prevent Me from Getting a Learners Lice

First: Do not be worried so much about not getting your learners permit, etc. These were not driving offenses.....

Be more concerned with the fact that as young as you are, you have all these charges. The multiple charges are going to make things a lot worse for you.

Many employers require pre-employment drug and alcohol screening. When the drug charge shows on a background check, they are likely to be sure you are sent for that test....and if hired, possibly send you for them randomly.

You have Petit Larceny and Criminal Trespassing: I would just simply avoid all retail, bank, cashiering positions - they are going to take one look at that record and throw your info into the round file (aka trash can). Forget waitstaffing - no company will trust you with a customers money or credit card.

Fast food places may hire you as long as you are not a cashier.

Banks: forget it.

Since you have multiple charges over a period of time....employers are going to have a hard time trusting you with money for a LONG time.

Thanks guys.

I haven't done any drugs in months- definitely long enough for them not to show on any tests, and don't plan on it anyway, so I'm not worried about that. I'm only 17, so not many jobs are available to me anyway. I mean right now I'm just looking for anything that pays at least minimum wage, and where I'd be treated well and I could do a good job. I just need any job because this time the fees are gonna be worse (all fines from my past charges were waved except a 100 dollar surcharge), and we've hired a lawyer who costs 1500 dollars. This time I need to pay for it myself (well my moms gonna pay, and I'll pay her back because I can't come up with it right away) because I'm almost 18 and I really need to become more responsible.

I've never planned on working in retail, banks or anything like that but the kinds of jobs I might want as a real career when I'm older involve law enforcement(ASPCA), medical work(mortician), or art, advertisement, etc. Could this effect these? (and trust me, I am NEVER doing anything illegal again. It's not worth it) I've also been planning on joining the marines since last year; could this ruin it?

Sorry for all the long posts I just have a lot of things I need to clear up for myself.

I think we can safely say that a job in Law Enforcement is OUT of your future, period.

Your job options are going to be severely limited now because your record shows you are a repeat offender.

I don't know if the Marines will want someone with your record. Best bet would be to go to the local recruiting office, talk to them, be honest about your history.

1. Sponsored Links