Default Does a Police Officer Have the Right to Refuse to Amend a Police Report

I was in a car accident a few days ago, where the driver of the other vehicle was trying to pass a double parked car and ended up hitting me head on. After waiting for 3 horus for the cops to arrive, they listened to my side of the story, then walked over to him. As the other guy was saying bye, he told the officer to say hello to his nephew. The officer then came back to me and told me the police report would be ready in a few days. After going to pick up my police report, I saw that the cop did not write anything that I told him on the report. He fabricated my entire statement. I spoke to the officers captain who told me that the officer is the only one who can change this information and to come back on the day that he is working. Does the officer by law have he right to refuse to change this information (even though it is based solely on my words)??!?!

Default Re: Does a Police Officer Have the Right to Refuse to Amend a Police Report

Laws vary by state. So for you to get the best possible, and more importantly, applicable response, you MUST provide the name of your State.

Default Re: Does a Police Officer Have the Right to Refuse to Amend a Police Report

I'm in Staten Island, New York.

They can not CHANGE the original report, but they can add to (amend) the report by way of a supplement. You can always write your own statement, go to the department, and ask that it be included in the report. They may do it, they may not. There is no law that says they must add it, nor is there a law that compels them to amend a report. They may do so if they want.

At this point, however, unless you are being charged with a crime it may be a moot point as the report has likely been requested and mailed to the insurance companies. You can still tell your insurance company your side of the story if it gets to insurance claims.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

1. Sponsored Links