Default Talking To A Detective Without A Lawyer

A detective left his business card on my grandmother’s door with my name asking me to call him and referenced a case number. Of course my grandmother freaked out when she got home and saw a card from a NYPD detective. Anyway she called me down in Florida (where I just moved last week) and gave me his name, number and case #. Apparently Grandma told a few other people and now everyone is telling me not to call this detective back until I have spoken to a lawyer. I’m not sure what this is about but I am guessing it has to do with a threat from a previous employer. On my last day of work I received my last paycheck and I deposited it this was in Oct 05 then Jan 06 my bank called to tell me a stop payment had been put on that check and the funds reversed out. Apparently my boss told her bank I forged the check and they in turn contacted my bank to reverse the funds. When that happened I couldn’t call the old boss cause the company had moved so I filed a claim with the department of labor for unpaid wages and when she received this claim she threatened if I went thru with it she would claim I stole the check and forged it and even file a police report to make her case stronger. Now I know I didn’t do anything wrong (I was actually fired for not “cooking” her books so she could sell her company at a higher price & blames me for her only getting half a million instead of the 1 million she really wanted). Anyway since I didn’t do anything wrong is it ok to call the detective without speaking to lawyer first? I’m not exactly sure the reason for the call but everyone says when you call & give your side to the police they can use it against you and they will tell the other party who can then make up evidence to prove your lying? I haven’t really ever dealt with the police before (expect a speeding ticket) so I don’t know if they’re as bad as my family claims and if I should call a lawyer.

Default Talking to the Police

If you believe that you are the subject of a criminal investigation, it can't hurt to consult a lawyer before talking to the police.

Ok I went to see a lawyer and he's gonna charge me 6k and since I'm not working I can't afford it. Does anyone have another suggestions? Thank you.

Quote Quoting Jesort415
    Ok I went to see a lawyer and he's gonna charge me 6k and since I'm not working I can't afford it. Does anyone have another suggestions? Thank you.
    There would seem to be just two options then:

(1) Talk to the detective,

Or,

(2) Don't talk to the detective.

If you get charged with a crime, you can apply for a public defender at or before arraignment. The only problem is that you might get arrested and extradited back to New York if they believe there is enough to charge you with a crime. Only YOU know what you did and how it might look.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links