Default Should I Fight a Failure to Yield Resulting in an Accident

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Michigan

On July 4th, in the crazy traffic after the fireworks, I got in a traffic collision. I did not argue anything at the scene, although I did try to check to see if there were any injuries (there were none). I was given a "failure to yield" civil infraction. According to the police report's description of events (which I believe to be accurate), this is what happened:

1. I was eastbound and stopped at a stop sign. The northbound/southbound traffic did not have a stop sign.

2. He was northbound.

3. Southbound traffic was backed up, northbound traffic was freely moving.

4. There was an opening in the southbound traffic that I could safely pass through. I had looked and did not see any northbound traffic.

5. I proceeded to go through the intersection at about 10-15 mph and struck him on the driver's side about mid-vehicle.

I was cited as 100 percent at fault, and he was at no fault at all. There are many things in the police report that I do not understand (mostly numbers under things such as location of damage, hazard action, etc.).

There appear to be many things either incorrect or left out on the police report. The number of occupants in each vehicle is correct, but only one name out of the 4 occupants in his car are listed. The witness's middle name is spelled incorrectly (I looked her up online). The insurance is registered to my mother and the owner of the car is my brother. However, the officer put my mother as the owner of the vehicle.

I really can't afford to pay the ticket, the deductible, and the increase in insurance costs. I can pay for the ticket out of pocket, but will likely have to find a way to take out loans to pay for the other expenses.

Is it a good idea for me to try and get the ticket dismissed because of incorrect information on the police report? Should I "admit responsibility with explanation" and try preventing the points getting on my license? Or should I just admit responsibility and pay the ticket and try to find some other mode of transportation until I can afford to pay for insurance?

Default Re: Should I Fight a Failure to Yield Resulting in an Accident

Quote Quoting hamburglar
    View Post
    Is it a good idea for me to try and get the ticket dismissed because of incorrect information on the police report?
    You can try anything you want to try but I'm not sure how or why you'd be able to convince anyone that the citation should be dismissed based on errors in the police report.

1. Sponsored Links