Default Concerning a Co-Signer

My question involves an auto loan or repossession in the State of: California

In 2006, I assisted my girlfriend at the time with purchasing her first car; this was in Texas. Unfortunately, I had designated myself as the primary and her the co-signer, instead of the other way around. Needless to say, she shortly met up with an old boyfriend and I never saw her or the car again. I had spent the remainder of 2006 and 2007 trying to work with the bank and her as far as getting my name off of the contract and title (I could not repo the car myself as I was not in the US at the time and I could not find her current address). This never happened and in 2008, the car was repossessed in California where she was residing. Since then, I have been contacted by a collections agency representing the bank, with no indication if any attempt to collect from the co-signer was made.

What I would like to know is this: If there is anything I could do as far as ensuring that she takes on half of what is owed to the bank for the vehicle? Or could I prove her guilty of breaking the contract with the bank; with her having to re-register and re-tag the car from Texas to California and never informing the bank ( I know that she did not inform the bank, as I had to inform the bank that she was no longer in Texas and that she was somewhere in California), or by losing the required insurance on the car at any given time during her ownership of the vehicle?

Default Re: Concerning a Co-Signer

=jac328;331430]

What I would like to know is this: If there is anything I could do as far as ensuring that she takes on half of what is owed to the bank for the vehicle?
    Sorry jac but she does not owe half, nor do you. Each of you are equally liable for the entire amount. They can chose to attempt to collect from either party.

Or could I prove her guilty of breaking the contract with the bank; with her having to re-register and re-tag the car from Texas to California and never informing the bank ( I know that she did not inform the bank, as I had to inform the bank that she was no longer in Texas and that she was somewhere in California), or by losing the required insurance on the car at any given time during her ownership of the vehicle?
    Doesn't make any difference. You are just as liable to make sure the car is insured as she is.

Default Re: Concerning a Co-Signer

ok, figured I was getting the short end of the stick in this. Thanks for the quick response though.

1. Sponsored Links