Default Calling CPS On My Ex

I've got my kids for the summer, my ex lives with her current boyfriend in a craptastic trailer. My kids tell me there is mold and mildew all over the house, and it makes them sick. Top that off, they claim her new BF keeps loaded guns all over the place, heck even my ex has a gun now (which, considering her refusing to allow me to own a pistol when we were married is rather out of character). He has two young children in the home (My kids are 9 and ten)

My problem is, as the father, if I go calling CPS and the kids are, well exaggerating the claims, or whatever, CPS doesn't think it's worth getting excited about, I become the "bad ex husband". However, if something happened to one of them, I'd never forgive myself!

I'm torn on this, I really am. Where can I go, what do I do? It's scaring the hell out of me.

She's in Kansas, I live in Texas.

Default Re: Okay, What Do I Do

Regardless of being labeled the vengeful X - I would STILL contact CPS and ask them to investigate the situation.
    This link goes directly to the reporting authority for Texas.

https://www.txabusehotline.org/

oops sorry - here is a link for Kansas

http://www.srskansas.org/services/ch...e_services.htm

Default Re: Okay, What Do I Do

Quote Quoting 525601minutes
    View Post
    Regardless of being labeled the vengeful X - I would STILL contact CPS and ask them to investigate the situation.
    This link goes directly to the reporting authority for Texas.

https://www.txabusehotline.org/

oops sorry - here is a link for Kansas

http://www.srskansas.org/services/ch...e_services.htm
    I went ahead and called them today and filed a report.

Default Re: Calling CPS On My Ex

Well CPS went to my ex's place, she claims they found nothing. Supposed to get a visit from them here to asses the children. I'm really not happy atm. Either the kids have been lying/exaggerating or the CPS lady missed what they were claiming.

Either way, I'm now the "bad guy".

JOY.

Try not to worry too much about it. You were concerned for the well being of your kids, and I assume you're taking very good care of them while they're with you, so try to relax.

CPS will ask you a bunch of questions about their health, probably ask if they're prone to exaggerating (kids that age are), they may want to look at the kids' rooms, look in your pantry and fridge, and will question you about your own habits.

And then they'll leave.

It's inconvenient and nerve wracking and can be unpleasant if you've got a CPS worker with a huge case of Totally Righteous, but unless you're living in dangerous squalor, have empty booze bottles and scorched crack pipes lying about, or answer the door in your underwear, completely baked, with women's underwear on your head, it will go quickly.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Try not to worry too much about it. You were concerned for the well being of your kids, and I assume you're taking very good care of them while they're with you, so try to relax.

CPS will ask you a bunch of questions about their health, probably ask if they're prone to exaggerating (kids that age are), they may want to look at the kids' rooms, look in your pantry and fridge, and will question you about your own habits.

And then they'll leave.

It's inconvenient and nerve wracking and can be unpleasant if you've got a CPS worker with a huge case of Totally Righteous, but unless you're living in dangerous squalor, have empty booze bottles and scorched crack pipes lying about, or answer the door in your underwear, completely baked, with women's underwear on your head, it will go quickly.
    Ahh aces, thank you for the reply.

I'm all for the CPS folks coming down to my house, I just want them safe.

1. Sponsored Links