Unhappy CVC 21658(A) Lane Change Violation

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California
    I was asked to pull over by two High way patrol officers yesterday after i exit from the highway.They told me that when i exited the highway, i made a violation lane change. I'm 18 and i just bought my car a week ago from my neighbor. I completed the car registration, yet i haven't got my auto insurance. Actually i was going to get the insurance yesterday and before i got, i was caught by those officers. So i did not have car insurance when i was caught and they wrote that down on the ticket too. They told me as soon as i get the insurance, that one will be fine. I got the insurance today, and i don't know what should i do to fix that problem(to send them the car insurance things or something else?) On the back side of the ticket, it has 6 options. pay the fine; appear in court; contest the violation; correct the violation; request traffic school; request trial by written declaration. And it says "you must do one or more of the following for each violation." I know i should go to the court and i will, but I did not really know what happened when i made the violation lane change, so i don't know what i should do for the contest the violation part. And my friend told me the court would ask me whether i'm guilty or not, i don't know what should i say. And i also want to ask how much is the fine normally? And they say that the courtesy notice may be mailed to address shown on your citation, but i want them to send to another address since i just moved out, who should i call to change the address?

I would really appreciate if you answer my question.
    Thank you!!!!

Default Re: CVC 21658(A) Vc Lane Change

A courtesy notice is just that, a courtesy.

Contact the court directly and ask them your question and ask what the total fine and fees might be. The court can choose to sign this off as a correctable violation, but given the circustances they do not have to. This could cost you about $815 if they choose not to cut you a huge break.

If found guilty of 21658(a) you could pay fines and assessments to the tune of about $201, though traffic school would be an option to mitigate the likely insurance hit for that offense.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

If you show proof of afteracquired insurance, your fine will be reduced but you will still be responsible.

Your lane change violation will still stand.

Mail the court with an address change and file the change with the DMV as well.

Quote Quoting dbii
    View Post
    If you show proof of afteracquired insurance, your fine will be reduced but you will still be responsible.
    There are no provisions in the California vehicle code that say that "after acquired insurance" "will" get one's VC-16028 fine reduced.

If it happens, and although it does quite often, it is because the judge wants to be nice about it.

So the answer is it "might"... Not it "will".

In California, that's what happens. I don't know about your state.

Quote Quoting dbii
    View Post
    In California, that's what happens. I don't know about your state.
    In CA the offense, 16028(a), is only correctable by the clerk of the court pursuant to CVC 16028(e). That section states that the clerk shall dismiss the matter only if evidence is provided "showing that the driver was in compliance with that section at the time the notice to appear for violating subdivision (a) was issued.

The way it works pursuant to statute is that the violation is correctable only if insured at the time the citation for 16028(a) is issued.

Now, a judge is free to correct the violation should he or she choose, but the law does not require it. As That Guy correctly stated, one MIGHT get the charge dropped to a correctable violation (at the discretion of the court), but it is not a given.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links