Default Claim for Advertised Award

William is the President of a mountain climbing association situated in Kuantan. To encourage and promote the sport of mountain climbing in Kuantan, he inserted an advertisement in the local newspapers dated 15th April 2009. In it, he promised that he would pay a sum of RM 3,000 to the first person who reaches the summit of Mount Kuantan on 1st May 2009. On the day of the race, the competitors gathered in the morning at the foot of Mount Kuantan. The race began at 8.00 a.m. Kenneth was the first person to reach the summit. Thereafter, he approached William to claim the winning price of RM 3,000 but William refused to pay him stating that it was merely an advertisement and that there was also no acceptance of participation from Kenneth.

Advise Kenneth if William had used a loudspeaker to inform the climbers that the mountain climbing event is cancelled after the climbers had already started climbing the mountain?

Default Re: Advertisement-Claim

Sorry WRONG country.

This is a USA forum. You don't even say what country you are in, not that I really care. Like we are supposed to recognize the town name?

Besides we only deal with dollars here. Euros are good too. RM's? You must be kidding?

But it does sound like fraud. The winner should complain to the local police, and any business associations in the area. Set up a picket line outside his business. That will get his attention. Going to court takes years and is usually a waste of time in most third world cesspools.

This is, as noted when you posted, a US legal information forum. I'm afraid there isn't anyone here who is familiar with Malaysian law.

You might try contacting the Malysian Bar to see if your local Advocate and Solicitor offers a free legal aid clinic.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    This is, as noted when you posted, a US legal information forum. I'm afraid there isn't anyone here who is familiar with Malaysian law.

You might try contacting the Malysian Bar to see if your local Advocate and Solicitor offers a free legal aid clinic.
    This also sounds surprisingly like homework.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    This also sounds surprisingly like homework.
    I agree...sounds like something that happened in the fictional state of Columbia.

By the way, the answer is
    1) offer - adequate - contains parties to whom it's directed (The offer reasonable calculated to reach the offeree), subject matter, type of performance invited and price.
    2) acceptance - where the offer does to state the manner of acceptance, performance or beginning performance is adequate.
    3) conditions - the condition to pay is conditioned on performance. the dude performed so the condition shielding payor's obligation is now due.

The bulk of analysis must be in the offer portion.

1. Sponsored Links