Default Can My Landlord Make Me Replace The Carpet

My question involves a security deposit in the State of: FL

Can my landlord make me replace all of the carpet in my apartment if only one small area needs replaced?

The carpet had some visible stains when we moved in. I documented them and management was aware. They are claiming my dog soiled another area and want me to pay to replace the whole apartment.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Can My Landlord

Quote Quoting FloridaRent
    View Post
    My question involves a security deposit in the State of: FL

Can my landlord make me replace all of the carpet in my apartment if only one small area needs replaced?

The carpet had some visible stains when we moved in. I documented them and management was aware. They are claiming my dog soiled another area and want me to pay to replace the whole apartment.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Was this a pre-move out inspection or have you already moved out?

If you haven't moved out, just replace the one small part. Have it done professionally so it looks good.

If you have already moved out, the land lord can bill you, it doesn't mean that it's legal or right.

Here is what I found:
    Unless the tenant objects to the imposition of the landlord's claim or the amount thereof within 15 days after receipt of the landlord's notice of intention to impose a claim, the landlord may then deduct the amount of his or her claim and shall remit the balance of the deposit to the tenant within 30 days after the date of the notice of intention to impose a claim for damages.

You may have to take him to small claims court.
    I personally think it would be fair to bill you for the room carpet to be replaced, but not the entire appartment.

FYI- I had a land lord bill me for replacing the carpet that I had installed the day after I moved out, but before my lease ended. Some land lords are just tyring to get as much money as they can out of you.

Default Re: Can My Landlord

The landlord can charge you for the depreciated value of the carpet that must be replaced due to your dog. Sometimes that means a large area, even if only a small portion of the carpet in that area is damaged. Let's say that you damage the carpet in one bedroom. It doesn't normally follow from that, that they should be able to replace the carpet in the living room. But let's say it's a corner of the living room, and the living room carpet is continuous through the dining room and a hallway. It may be reasonable for them to charge a portion of the replacement cost for all of that carpet, as a patch would look odd and conspicuous.

By "depreciated value", I mean the remaining value in the carpet. If the carpet has a ten year expected life, and is five years old when it's replaced, by straight line depreciation it has half of its value left. So if it costs $2,000 to replace the carpet with new carpet of equivalent quality due to damage caused by the tenant, the tenant's liability would be the remaining 50% of the lifespan - half the cost, or $1,000.

If they're charging you the full cost of replacement of the used carpet in the apartment with brand new carpet, I would expect a court to make short work of cutting the bill down to size.

1. Sponsored Links