Default Dealer Wants Car Back, but I Have Already Got the Tag

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Georgia

Ok folks I hope someone can help me out. About four months ago I bought a car at a credit union/auto broker car finder. I traded in my truck two weeks later they sold it, a month and a half later they paid it off, at this time I still have not got anything about the new car for payments and such. I called the salesman many many times, also the paper tag was expired so he over nighted me a new one. Still no payment information, then he mails me the information to get the tag, I go to the local tag office pay for the tag and at this point I assume that the car is titled in my name and has a lien holder. I kept calling the company that is supposed to have done the financing and they have no record of me keep calling the salesman and sending messages to him and in the messages many times he promises me that everything is fine. well here we are four months from the original day of the deal and I still have not made a payment but now I have got a call from the General Manager saying that the salesman has been fired for doing this I suppose to a bunch of people or at least more than my self. The General Manager now wants me to bring the car back and give it to them, so im like where is my truck and already knowing the answer they say we sold it. So then im like you want me to bring you back a car that is in my name and get what? No truck.. Any thoughts???

Default Re: Dealer Wants Car Back, but I Have Already Got the Tag

Quote Quoting shizzavip
    View Post
    So then im like you want me to bring you back a car that is in my name and get what?
    And what did they say in response to that question?

Obviously it all depends on what your sales/financing contract says about it their inability to get you financed. It does however get complicated when it comes to figuring out what you owe them for the use of the car you have now versus what credit you get back in return as far as down payment (if any) & the value of your trade in... etc.

You may want to consult with an attorney in your area. He/she can guide you better as far as where to start. I assure you this will be a long drawn out process and as far as the dealer is concerned, it is all about their bottom line.

Lastly, I am not suggesting by any means that you should "conceal" the vehicle (that might be illegal depending upon GA laws), however, I would suspect that the repo man is out and about looking for the right moment.

These are a few things that I dont understand, one how can they get away with going four months and then come back and say gimme that car back.. two if "THEY" sent me the paper work to have the car titled in my name and me doing so how can they just say "bring me that car back" I think that there is some grey area here with this situation, I have talked to a few attorneys and they say I have to send them a demand letter demanding my truck back, if they dont produce the truck which they won't it was sold three and a half months ago then they have to find financing for the original terms agreed too. Its not a matter of me not being able to get financed its a matter of this salesman was doing deals for terms that the credit union was not cool with and for cars that cost a lot more than they would like this car is a 530i BMW. Once I mentioned attorney to the GM he changed his tune rather quickly to a more "ok let me call you in the morning and see what we can do".

oh and I have talked to a few people who run smaller car lots and they all say the same thing, they will have to find a finance company or finance it themselves for there mistake. and the funny part is they want to give me a another car that is more in there scope of vehicles...lol

There is some humor here - your last note ending with "lol" is appropriate. I don't think a used car salesman has ever been fired for cheating a customer; burning the dealership - now that's another question.

Assuming you are happy with the deal and with the vehicle, the attorneys have given you good advice; tell them to make you whole, give you the truck back. I'd actually take a stronger position than that - we have a deal, you have my truck, I have my 530iBMW; the price and payment terms are agreed, who do I pay, and when is the first payment due.

I agree, I have a mountain of messages between myself and the car salesman, and in every message he is saying don't worry I have it set up for a July 1st payment everything is good, go on vacation everything is cool if I need to I can over night you what I need but I know that I will not need anything. As far as the car its great we love it. We got the car for my wife and she is ready to knock out the GM, the best part of all of this is that I had told the GM that I went through a divorce a while back and explain a story about my x wife, well when my now wife calls and speaks with him and gives him a second butt hole, he calls me back and says "I just spoke with your lovely xwife..." I was like ahhh that's my wife you spoke with, why in the heck would I buy my xwife a car?? he did some back pedaling on that one. My wife's dad is the head assistant district attorney for a county next to mine and hey is pointing us in the right direction, and we have friends that own a small car lot and they all say the same thing since they released the title to us and they have sold our trade that we kind of have them in a sling. The GM was kind of nasty to my wife but the minute she broke out "my attorney has told me that I am to demand my trade back" the GM changed his tune and starting talking to her with some respect and not like a piece of trash. We have been searching on the internet all night for a case like ours but all of the people that we find out there are like "I bought a car and 7 days 10 days two weeks whatever the dealer is calling wanting the car back. We have been unable to find a case where the dealer has transfer the title to the buyer put a lien holder on the title that does not even have a loan on the car, but then wants the car back or in this case wants us to come in and pick out a different car. I know that they are going to try and throw as much crap at us as they can in hopes that we will bite on something and they can get out of a situation that a retarded salesman put them in, but we are going to try everything we can to force them to finance the car and just move on. Another funny note is that they were supposed to finance the car through CitiFiancial, well after all the back and forth talking with them on the phone, a lady from there office called my cell and was like is this CitiFiancial? I was like ah no, and she say ok thank you, so I can only imagin that they are scrambling to try and figure something out. I just wish I could find out for sure with out a shadow of a doubt if there is a time frame that a dealer can come back and say we could not get it down, im mean four months come on and second if they have transfered the title to me, how much can they really do but finance the car?

1. Sponsored Links