Default Getting Married to Somebody Who Pays Child Support

and I have a couple quick questions....

My fiance has 2 kids and is paying child support to the EX. We have lived together for almost 4 years now.

So....
    1st question....IF we would get married, can they use any part of my income to raise the child support? I know it states that only the 2 parents are responsible for paying for the children, but I know I read somewhere that dom rel can request my income and possibly raise my fiance's child support.

2nd question....IF I would come into an inheritance or win the lottery or any money of any sort, can my fiance's EX end up with any of it?

I really want to marry my fiance, but if it means that some of my income or winnnings or anything go to fiance's EX, I will just stay living together before one dime of it goes to EX.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you.

Default Re: I Might Get Married.state of Pa

Quote Quoting lbbk
    View Post
    and I have a couple quick questions....

My fiance has 2 kids and is paying child support to the EX. We have lived together for almost 4 years now.

So....
    1st question....IF we would get married, can they use any part of my income to raise the child support? I know it states that only the 2 parents are responsible for paying for the children, but I know I read somewhere that dom rel can request my income and possibly raise my fiance's child support.

2nd question....IF I would come into an inheritance or win the lottery or any money of any sort, can my fiance's EX end up with any of it?

I really want to marry my fiance, but if it means that some of my income or winnnings or anything go to fiance's EX, I will just stay living together before one dime of it goes to EX.

Thank you in advance.

Thank you.
    No, your income cannot be used to determine your spouse's CS.

Possibly, if he owes any arrears and you co-mingle your assets with his.

The best thing to do when you get married will be to keep all assets and incomes seperate. You each should have your own bank account, etc.

No arrears owed. Totally current. So, we should never have a joint checking account?

You are doing a good thing by asking questions up front. Do as much research as you can so you can go into this situation fully informed. This website has a lot of information on the subject and may help you get a clearer picture of what you may encounter.

Quote Quoting lbbk
    View Post
    No arrears owed. Totally current. So, we should never have a joint checking account?
    It's better not to have a joint account, just in case he were to fall behind. You just never know what life has planned for us, illness, injury, involuntary loss of income, etc can lead to involuntary arrears being incurred.

Default Re: Getting Married to Somebody Who Pays Child Support

Plus you get added benefits- the number one cause of marital fights is money. To avoid this, my wife and I maintain seperate accounts- we each contribute a prearranged percentage of the monthly bills to a joint account, and whatever is left over is yours to keep, and what you buy with your money is not the other partner's concern.

This saves us a lot of argument.

1. Sponsored Links