Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Child Support, Plus Half of Medical Bills and Medication

Last night, my husband received a phone call from his ex-wife. She is mailing us her medical receipts for the month for his 3 girls so that we can pay 1/2 of her medical expenses and medications for them. He currently carries them on his insurance policy for 100.00 a month. She has a co-pay of only $15.00 for a dr. visit and everything is covered. As of 2 weeks ago there were no outstanding medical bills not covered by insurance. What she is wanting is for him to pay half of the co-pay of $15.00 and half of her co-pay for the medications which range from $5-$20. My question is is co-pay considered unisured medical cost? Looking back at my notes from the lawyer, co-pay is not inclusive of non insured medical cost because you have a copay because he pays $100.00 a month to have that copay. FYI - 3 days ago we wired her child support so she could pay rent on her house. What is wrong with this picture? She is a nurse, functioning on 2 salaries (remarried) and a half (my husband's). I get by with 11/2 salaries. So is copay considered uninsured medical cost?

Default Copayment

By definition, a copayment is not covered by insurance.

Mr Knowitall,
    Are you a lawyer and can I consider this law that a co payment is not considered insurance. Why wouldn't she be responsible for half of the premium if we are responsible for half of the copay . I can understand an out of pocket balance but not half of the co pay

I am required to pay for my sons medical, and 1/2 of out of pocket medical expences.
    Which would me 1/2 the co pay, 1/2 the medications etc...
    Whatever she has to pay out of pocket, I reimburse her 1/2.
    Did you check the wording of the divorce decree?

The divorce decree reads , dad is responsible for insurance coverage and each party pays 1/2 of uninsured medical bills. That is how it reads. So once again will we be splitting 1/2 of a 15.00 copay? What concerns me is we haven't in the past. I think this is coming up because she is no longer receiving 250.00 for a child from a previous relationship so she is a little short on cash!

Default Re: Child support and 1/2 of medical bills and medication

I Know in Virginia the amount has to be over $100 dollars a month in medical
    expenses. I can't get paid for co-pays or medicine, And my husband now pays for my sons insurance.

Angry Re: Child support and 1/2 of medical bills and medication

Quote Quoting mar1will2
    Mr Knowitall,
    Are you a lawyer and can I consider this law that a co payment is not considered insurance. Why wouldn't she be responsible for half of the premium if we are responsible for half of the copay . I can understand an out of pocket balance but not half of the co pay
    No offense, but if you want actual legal advice shouldn't you contact a lawyer and not an online forum? I think he was just giving his opinion as an answer to your question.

I think maybe you need to stop focusing on you and focus on the chidren at issue here. Did he not create half of the children with his sperm? What amount of time does he have with the chilrend and does he help with ALL other expenses: shelter, food, clothing, cosmetics, dental, medical, transportation, utilities, childcare, and average daily expenses? If not, consider yourself lucky that she is only asking for half of medical. She has every right to ask for half, since he fathered the children and is half responsible for their conception. If he doesn't like the 50/50, maybe he should seek joint custody. Then he would just flat out be responsible for half on a daily bases.

Why do so many people focus on how they can get away with paying less, but they lose sight on the target...this money ISN'T for the ex's lifestyle, it's to pay for the child's lifestyle! How can you deny that? Why would you deny that? Why should she cover all the cost when he owes half of his entire existence to them? How can he or you, for that matter, deny his need to help out medically!
    I feel so many focus on

Quote Quoting sanguinemama03
    View Post
    No offense, but if you want actual legal advice shouldn't you contact a lawyer and not an online forum? I think he was just giving his opinion as an answer to your question.

I think maybe you need to stop focusing on you and focus on the chidren at issue here. Did he not create half of the children with his sperm? What amount of time does he have with the chilrend and does he help with ALL other expenses: shelter, food, clothing, cosmetics, dental, medical, transportation, utilities,ren and is half responsible for their conception. If he d childcare, and average daily expenses? If not, consider yourself lucky that she is only asking for half of medical. She has every right to ask for half, since he fathered the childoesn't like the 50/50, maybe he should seek joint custody. Then he would just flat out be responsible for half on a daily bases.

Why do so many people focus on how they can get away with paying less, but they lose sight on the target...this money ISN'T for the ex's lifestyle, it's to pay for the child's lifestyle! How can you deny that? Why would you deny that? Why should she cover all the cost when he owes half of his entire existence to them? How can he or you, for that matter, deny his need to help out medically!
    I feel so many focus on
    "

I pay $800 dollars a month in child support. She has full custody. Did I want it that way? No. She doesn't believe in joint custody and would rather have the kids full time. I could have pursued this further but not without monstrous court cost expenses. So now she has the kids and I pay big in child support. Now if the system was perfect, there would be accountability as to exactly where that $800 dollars is going. Sure, it's supposed to go towards the children. There's no way to ensure that a lot of it isn't going towards the mother's lifestyle or other unneccesary expenses I.E. going to the movies, club outings, manicures, fancy cars, jewelry etc. Us guys are just simply mandated to fork over the money.

That said, I just don't see having to cover the co-pays when my insuranse already covers a bulk of the costs. I pay 70/30 on major medical expenses (I have yet to get my 30 by the way so I'm basically paying 100%) including braces and neurology treatments. Where is the $200 dollars a week going to? Where is HER paycheck going to? I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade when it comes to money, but at the same time, I'm not trying to get walked on either.

I also think we should banish the stereotypical notion that all dads are selfish deadbeats and the mothers are these poor battered down martyrs that are left with in the cold with just enough money to get by. I have personally seen a few cases when the mother has stripped the dad to bare minimum; driving around in Lexuses, living in the rich part of town while dad who was formerly the bread winner, is trying to make it as a roommate down in the projects. Do you think she's entitled to recieve co-pays? I think not.

I agree with the above posting. Not all Dad's are deadbeats! Sometimes the mother's are selfish and don't give a crap about the kids except for the child support payments every month. My husbands ex is a real winner and definately won't be mother of the year anytime soon. The problem is, it's not about the kids with her, it's about her and her unemployed ex-con boyfriend who won't get a job because he is too fat and lazy, while she is supporting not only my husbands 2 sons, but her new son with the ex-con and his 12 year old daughter. Believe me, I want whats best for them, but sometimes, and I only mean sometimes, the mothers are too immature to really care about what's best for the kids. I tried forming a relationship with her, so we could all be civil to eachother and we could get along for the kids sake, but she is just to childish to do it. Unless you are in every situation personally, you have no idea what it's like and therefore shouldn't pass judgement or automatically assume that the father isn't doing his part.

Quote Quoting sanguinemama03
    View Post

I think maybe you need to stop focusing on you and focus on the chidren at issue here. Did he not create half of the children with his sperm? What amount of time does he have with the chilrend and does he help with ALL other expenses: shelter, food, clothing, cosmetics, dental, medical, transportation, utilities, childcare, and average daily expenses? If not, consider yourself lucky that she is only asking for half of medical. She has every right to ask for half, since he fathered the children and is half responsible for their conception. If he doesn't like the 50/50, maybe he should seek joint custody. Then he would just flat out be responsible for half on a daily bases.

I feel so many focus on

If he should pay 1/2 of copays because the kids are 1/2 his, why is it that he must pay 100% of the insurance cost, if the children are ONLY 1/2 his?

I would love to hear the answer to this as well...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast