Default Giving Out Somebody Else's Personal Information

A SMALL AUTO MECHANIC IN SOUTH CAROLINA, FAMILY OWNED (TWO BROTHERS), ARE COMPLETEING WORK ON MY RECENTLY DECEASED FATHERS VEHICLE, WHICH WAS INHERITED BY ME. AN EX FRIEND OF MINE'S FATHER HAD HELPED ME GET THE VEHICLE SERVICED THERE INITIALLY. BASICALLY, TO GET IT TOWED THERE. AT THE TIME, WE WERE STILL FREINDS. APPROX. 2 MONTHS LATER, I MOVED BACK HOME, AND HAD A DISAGREEMENT WITH THEM, AND NO LONGER IN A FRIENDSHIP. I CONTATCED THE AUTO MECHANIC PLACE OF BUSINESS AND LEFT A NEW PHONE NUMBER FOR THEM TO GET IN CONTACT WITH ME. MY EX-FRIENDS FATHER WENT TO THE PLACE OF BUSINESS AND WAS GIVEN MY NEW CONTACT INFORMATION, SOMETHING I DID NOT WANT HIM TO HAVE. THE PLACE OF BUSINESS SAID THAT IT WAS MY FAULT, I DID NOT TELL THEM THAT MY CONTACT INFORMATION WAS CONFIDENTIAL, & THAT I SHOULD MAYBE CHANGE MY NUMBER IF I DID NOT WANT HIM CALLING ME. ALSO, THE EX-FRIENDS FATHER & OWNERS OF PLACE OF BUSINESS ARE FRIENDS. ADDITIONALLY, THE PLACE OF BUSINESS HAS DECIDED THAT THEY WILL NOT FURTHER THE WORK BEGUN ON MY DECEASED FATHERS VEHICLE NOR FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED. BECAUSE THE VEHICLE WILL NOT RUN, AND I HAVE MOVED, I WOULD HAVE TO HAVE IT TOWED ALMOST 3 HOURS AWAY, AT MY COST. IS THIS LEGAL? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Default Re: Giving Out Somebody Else's Personal Information

Quote Quoting BANNER_SECHREST
    ADDITIONALLY, THE PLACE OF BUSINESS HAS DECIDED THAT THEY WILL NOT FURTHER THE WORK BEGUN ON MY DECEASED FATHERS VEHICLE NOR FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED.
    Why not?

Default Why not?

BECAUSE WHEN I CALLED AND ASKED IF THEY HAD GIVEN OUT MY INFORMATION, THEY BECAME ARGUEMENATIVE AND HUNG UP ON ME. TOLD ME THEY DIDNT CARE, THAT I DID NOT TELL THEM THAT THE INFORMATION WAS CONFIDENTIAL OR NOT...ETC. tHEY ALSO ADVISED ME TO CHANGE MY NUMBER...

Try catching flies with honey, not vinegar. Consider apologizing and seeing if they will work with you again. They don't have to fix your car.

Default Mr. Knowitall

I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT, I AS A CUSTOMER SHOULD NOT HAVE TO. OBVIOUSLY I'M NOT IN THE WRONG. BESIDES, OTHER THAN THEM GIVING OUT MY PERSONAL INFORMATION WHICH IS ILLEGAL TO DO, AREN'T THEY OBLIGATED TO FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED OR PLACE EVERYTHING BACK THE WAY THEY RECIEVED IT? I BELIEVE SO. I ALSO WONDER WHAT TO BBB OR SBA WOULD HAVE TO SAY ABOUT ME BEING TREATED THIS WAY AS A CONSUMER. YES IT WOULD MAKE ME THE "BIGGER MAN" TO APOLOGIZE. BUT THEY SHOULD APOLOGIZE TO ME, DONT YOU THINK SO AS WELL?

You say it's illegal. Under what law? (I'm not saying there isn't a law; but you have yet to identify one. Many businesses legally sell customer contact information.)

The guy was your friend, who brought your business to them. They had no reason to know you had a falling out. You lost it with them, and were rude to them. They don't have to fix your car.

You don't want to apologize because you are the customer, and because you feel they disclosed your private information? Certainly that's your right, but the price appears to be a three hour towing fee and having the repairs done elsewhere.

1. Sponsored Links