Default Seizure of "Trespassing" Vehicle

My question involves towing laws for the State of: PA - Also interested Laws regarding same in FL, AZ, and NM.

Since this topic is Towing laws I thought that this might be of interest to you/your readers...

Very long story, but in summary...
    I remember a man who on two separate occasions kept the vehicles (One Delivery truck, and one Limo) that were parked/stopped on his (apartment complex) land (Considered to be "Private" Property). The vehicles were blocked in by heavy machinery until the owners paid "storage fees".

The vehicles on each occasion sat for 6 Mos. to 2 Yrs until the owners made arrangements to collect the vehicles.

Is this Legal?
    I know it would be perfectly legal to call a towing company and have the vehicles removed, but are "Other" options equally legal?

Thanks,
    Carl

Default Re: Seizure of "Trespassing" Vehicle

It seems unlikely that the guy would park his heavy equipment for two years, just to extort a "parking fee" from a delivery truck or limo service, and or that the owner of the targeted vehicle would let their vehicle sit that long. And I would not expect this tactic to be legal. If you want to try it, consult a lawyer in your state.

It Actually happened - both between 76 and 83.
    (Was just really currious about how legal it was)

Blocked the Furniture truck in with an old dump truck and a tractor (that sat there for 2, maybe 3 years).

Years later, he blocked the Limo in with the tractor alone (put the bucket at an angle in front of the car while the back was up against a set of stairs and the building blocked the side. (It took that fellow about 6 mos. to see "Reason" and antiup - had a Limo Company and figured giving him a few grand was better than having a Limo tied up any longer)

The equipment was old stuff he just had around - not worth enough to bother selling off.
    - It wasn't to extort a parking fee - that was an excuse, it was to PO the vehical owners. - the money was just gravy.

Yes, there is a bit of history to both - but not "Legally pertanant"

As for how legal it was - I can't vouch for that, other than it being on his land without his aprovel - so local PD didn't say anything other than it was a civil mater - so it took that long to get into the court - delays, delays...

Another fellow at the botom of the hill would keep the cars that landed there (no guard rail, steep incline {finally put up a guard rail about 83}- so he'd get about one a year) - the wrecker had to go through his yard to recover the car or try to fish it up the hill he'd charge the tow company ($5000 +/-) for tearing up his yard before he'd let them on his property to get it in addition to storage fees.

I am one of those types who would spend money to keep from paying. I would even go so far as to rent my own heavy equipment and pull the stuff out of the way, just to keep from having to pay an extortionist.

I would probably do that too...

But, I'm also one of those types that if you park your vehicle on my private property, without my permission... I would go as far as digging a bunker around it so that you'll never get it out.

Quote Quoting divemedic
    View Post
    I am one of those types who would spend money to keep from paying. I would even go so far as to rent my own heavy equipment and pull the stuff out of the way, just to keep from having to pay an extortionist.
    Afraid I 'd do the same...
    and I'd sure as heck dig a bunker to keep it... (After taking Mr. K's advice)

---
    It would have been something to see...
    (Can say that knowing the terrain and security - think the biggest crime there in 30 years was the janitors kid breaking a window and taking a jar of change)

1. Sponsored Links