Default Disbursement of Will to Heirs

Okay I'll try to make this short and to the point. Uncle died. The will is executed. Then they had to wait the duration by law so that if anybody needs to makes claims again the estate. They gave a date at which time the money could be disbursed to the Heirs (March 7th). Well about 3 weeks after the date they said it was to be distributed we contact the law office that was handling the estate. After about 3 or 4 calls we got absolutely no where. Finally attorney calls me and tell me that the hold up was at the bank and that they had just receive the check about a week ago. They had not gotten around the issuing the checks and that they were hoping to do it Friday (one week ago today). Well we decided to call again today and find out what is going on. They tell me now that they were approved by the UAW for 10 hours on this case and because they went over those hours they needed to get approval from the UAW for this. This has to be approved before the money can be disbursed. I asked why the attorney did not tell me that before and she had no answer. I asked if this was going to lessen the amount of money to the Heirs and she said probably not. Not quite understanding what the deal was another one of the Heirs called the law office again asking the questions about what the UAW was, what did they have to do with it and basically where is the money. Now the attorney is getting all pissy and started saying to this other Heir that he is going to charge him for every phone call he makes to their office.

I don't know if this attorney has done anything unethical, what time frame do they have for give us the money. What are our rights is basically what I want to know. Any info on this type of situation is helpful.

Default Estate Problem

Was this lawyer located through UAW legal services? (United Auto Workers)

Not sure how that actually worked - our uncle who was the executor of the estate retained the legal services through the UAW. He worked for Cadillac for years before he retired. The attorney said that they needed approval for more hours works. Apparently if it is approved through the UAW the fee doesn't come out of the estate. Don't understand how that works. All I know is we are still waiting for our money.

Default UAW Legal Services

He probably receives certain legal services as a benefit of employment. The law firm is probably working within a fee set by their contract with UAW legal services, and may be trying to to the minimum amount of work on the file in order to maximize their hourly fee. Your uncle may wish to discuss this situation with a representative at UAW legal services, or with his union rep.

1. Sponsored Links