Default When Does Child Support Stop in Georgia

My question involves child support in the State of: Georgia.

Im just wanting to clarify what my papers say in regards to my child support. If you can, in your professional opinions, tell me when you think my support stops. Below is what the papers say. Thanks in advance.

"....and shall continue every month thereafter until the child attains the age of 18 years, marries, dies, becomes self-supporting, or graduates from high school, whichever event first occurs. Each such child support payment shall be made not later than the 15th day of each month.

Provided, however, that if the child becomes 18 years of age while enrolled in and attending secondary school on a full-time basis, then such support shall continue until the chile completes secondary school, provided that such support shall not be required after the child attains 20 years of age."

Default Re: When Does Child Support Stop in Georgia

I didnt think it would be that hard for those of you that know the terms and lingo involved. If it makes my question any easier...My child received her high school diploma yesterday 5-30-09.

Quote Quoting In search of
    View Post
    I didnt think it would be that hard for those of you that know the terms and lingo involved. If it makes my question any easier...My child received her high school diploma yesterday 5-30-09.
    Your CS obligation ended when she graduated.

Do you have any younger children on this CS order?
    If you do, you'll need to file for a modification.

no more kids. That was the answer i was looking for. Ive had people read the papers and everyone has a different opinion. Iwas told that secondary school is just another term for high school so I thought I was done as of graduation but wanted second and third opinions. Thanks for your input.

No, secondary school is college. If she is planning on, or has been accepted to a college as a full time student your support would have to continue until she either graduates from college or turns 20. However, if she goes to college full time and works full time, she would be considered self-suficient. That would end your payments.

I would say your best and safest bet is to continue making the payments for a few months while requesting a hearing with the judge to clear the matter up once and for all. If you do not need to continute making payments the case will be closed out and you will get an order stating your payment requirements have been fullfilled, granted you don't have any arrears.

Quote Quoting Clayker
    View Post
    No, secondary school is college. If she is planning on, or has been accepted to a college as a full time student your support would have to continue until she either graduates from college or turns 20. However, if she goes to college full time and works full time, she would be considered self-suficient. That would end your payments.

I would say your best and safest bet is to continue making the payments for a few months while requesting a hearing with the judge to clear the matter up once and for all. If you do not need to continute making payments the case will be closed out and you will get an order stating your payment requirements have been fullfilled, granted you don't have any arrears.
    Please do not post inaccurate information.
    Secondary school is high school.
    Also, in GA, CS ends at age 18, or graduation from HS. Ga law does not require college support.

1. Sponsored Links