Unhappy Changing Daughter's Last Name to Stepfather's

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Illinois

Hi everyone im in deep need of your help. I have a four year old amazing daughter and i am not with her dad. Havent been for years, Im getting married soon to a wonderful man and i would like it if my daughter had his last name just like i will, my daughter currently has my last name not her biological fathers, he is on her birth certificate and signed the paternity and pays child support, can i change my daughters last name to my new husbands last name. Iv never been married before, i need help, please get back to me a.s.a.p. Thank you all...

-Bree Chicago, Il

Default Re: Changing Daughters Last Name to Step Fathers

sure you can. all you have to do is ask bio dad if it is ok and I am sure the courts would have no problem with the change.

her dad whos a deadbeat will say no just out of spite can i change it without his consent

Officially across the country from where I've been all my life

Quote Quoting Sabrina123
    View Post
    her dad whos a deadbeat will say no just out of spite can i change it without his consent
    Not a chance. Oh, and deadbeats generally don't pay child support. So I guess you'll have to live with your choice in father's for your child and her last name.
    If you wanted babies all to yourself, you should have created them by yourself. Until you do that, children have the right to BOTH parents, especially since you found them suitable to procreate with.

my fiance is way more of a dad to my daughter than her father is or ever was, why cant i get a simple answer my daughter has my last name can i change her last name 2 my fiance's when i get married.

Quote Quoting Sabrina123
    View Post
    my fiance is way more of a dad to my daughter than her father is or ever was, why cant i get a simple answer my daughter has my last name can i change her last name 2 my fiance's when i get married.
    You were answered. If your daughters father agrees to this then you can change her name.

If her biological father won't consent to the name change, you will have to file a motion with the custody court asking for permission to change her name. You will have to prove that the name change is in your child's best interest. The biological father can oppose your petition. Given that the child has your maiden name, not the biological father's surname, I don't think his opposition to your petition would be very credible.

1. Sponsored Links