Default Conversion Charges in Indiana

I was walking home from school, which I did everyday. One day i found a pink back pack with behind a storage shed which is in a church parking lot. I cut through there on my way home to save some time. Anyways, I picked the back pack up and took it home. When i started to look through it, the backpack had 3 items. A laptop, an ipod and a camera. I didnt know who the items belonged to and wasnt sure how to get them back. I tried to get on the computer, but it was locked by a networking service. Anyway i kept the items and didnt hear much about it, until a P.I left a card at my door roughly 2 months later. The PI told me that the computer sent out the ip adress that was used to connect to the internet and thats how they know i had the items at one time. I still had the camera so i gave it back. I just got my court papers today and I am not sure how to proceed. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'd also like to know a possible sentence and what fines i should expect. This is a first time offense for me.

Default Re: Conversion Charges in Indiana

so, is the actual charge conversion?

btw: if you found anothers property, you have a few options:

leave it alone

call the authorities

take it and attempt to discover the true owner and return it (the least smart idea as it can always look as if you intended to keep it until such time you do actually take some action to find the true owner).

You did the last one, to an extent. When you stopped looking for the owner or some other action to attempt to return the property to the rightful owner, you then committed a crime.

So, now you are being rightfully charged for a crime.

how to proceed.

hire an attorney or if you cannot afford one, ask the court for a public defender.

possible punishment:

it appears this is a class A misdemeanor. (the worst misdemeanor before being a felony)

Class A misdemeanor
    Sec. 2. A person who commits a Class A misdemeanor shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of not more than one (1) year; in addition, he may be fined not more than five thousand dollars ($5,000).
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.8. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.124.
    IC 35-50-3-1
    Suspension; probation
    Sec. 1. (a) The court may suspend any part of a sentence for a misdemeanor.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (c), whenever the court suspends in whole or in part a sentence for a Class A, Class B, or Class C misdemeanor, it may place the person on probation under IC 35-38-2 for a fixed period of not more than one (1) year, notwithstanding the maximum term of imprisonment for the misdemeanor set forth in sections 2 through 4 of this chapter. However, the combined term of imprisonment and probation for a misdemeanor may not exceed one (1) year.
    (c) Whenever the court suspends a sentence for a misdemeanor, if the court finds that the use or abuse of alcohol, drugs, or harmful substances is a contributing factor or a material element of the offense, the court may place the person on probation under IC 35-38-2 for a fixed period of not more than two (2) years. However, a court may not place a person on probation for a period of more than twelve (12) months in the absence of a report that substantiates the need for a period of probation that is longer than twelve (12) months for the purpose of completing a course of substance abuse treatment. A probation user's fee that exceeds fifty percent (50%) of the maximum probation user's fee allowed under IC 35-38-2-1 may not be required beyond the first twelve (12) months of probation.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.8. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.123; P.L.5-1988, SEC.210; P.L.135-1993, SEC.9; P.L.90-2001, SEC.1; P.L.1-2002, SEC.152.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

I have also noticed that the OP didn't mention what the final outcome of the laptop and iPod was.

Let's assume that the OP sold them. Then, not only is the OP busted but so is the person(s) that bought them.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

well, maybe. If the recipient has a plausible story as to not knowing they were not OP's to sell, recipient would most likely merely be out the cash as the items would be taken by the police and hopefully returned to the rightful owner.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

1. Sponsored Links