Default Does a 15 Year Old Father Have Any Rights

My question involves paternity law for the State of: Tennessee

my 15 year old son & his 16 year old girlfriend are expecting. Her father is pushing her to put the baby up for adoption when it is born in Dec. My son wants nothing to do with that. He wants to keep the baby. He has our support. Does he have any rights to stop the adoption??

Default Re: Does a 15 Year Old Father Have Any Rights

Quote Quoting prplsunsets
    View Post
    My question involves paternity law for the State of: Tennessee

my 15 year old son & his 16 year old girlfriend are expecting. Her father is pushing her to put the baby up for adoption when it is born in Dec. My son wants nothing to do with that. He wants to keep the baby. He has our support. Does he have any rights to stop the adoption??
    Yes. The child can't be placed for adoption without Dad's consent. As soon as the child is born your son NEEDS to file for paternity and custody. It would be in his best interest to consult NOW with a good Family Law Attorney to make sure that your son does all that is needed in this situation.

I also want to add that your son should be on here asking his own questions. He will have to deal with this situation as an adult. He made the child and he should take the initiative to find out what his legal rights are.

Please remember that until a DNA test is done and confirms that the child is his, he isn't legally the father. He should sign the AOP without first confirming, via a DNA, that the baby is indeed his child.

Yes, he does. If he is truly serious, he needs to try to get on the TN Putative Father's registry now to ensure that nothing is done without his knowledge or consent when the child is born. The information is below.

Obtain form from, and return form to: Registrar, Putative Father Registry, Tennessee Department of Children’s Services, Cordell Hull Building-8th Floor, 436 Sixth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243-1290. Tel: 615-741-9699 alt tel: 615-532-5637

Thank you, yes he is serious and he has our support.

1. Sponsored Links