My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Missouri
My son is moving after his education to MO. The car is in my name in GA. What are the steps to ensure that he can move safely to MO from here:
A. How to get the car registered in MO since it is in my name?
B. Get his insurance in MO as my current insurance company does not cover there
C. He has finished college and is joining is his first job there - so in the meanwhile - his insurance is not valid per my insurance agent - ridiculous isn't it? He is on my insurance policy for the car.
My thoughts are as follows:
1. Does it mean I drive the car there (since I have insurance) or transport it through 3rd party there?
2. He first rents his apartment
3. Gets his MO driving license
4. I then Sell (or gift - why bother about gift as it leads to other complexities like taxes) the car in MO to him for a dollar (do I need to put more value there?)
5. Get the title transfered to him - Will the DMV agree without valid insurance since the car would then be in his name?
6. Does it mean I have to first get the insurance done after the sale - but will the insurance company agree without the MO state title? Catch 22 situation!
7. Apply MO TAG for the car with his Title!
Please help me with points 5 and 6 above as well as 4 (though not that much important).
Also please check the sequence of events I have highlighted is it correct?
And what all documentation I need - I do have the title (lien free in my name) and the original GA registration.
Thanks and Best Regards