Exclamation How Long Does Emancipation Take

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Florida.

Some Background:

I have been living with my dad for the 2nd year. I moved out of my mom's house because i began getting extremely stressed and my older sister and I also became violent with each other.
    My dad and I always fight and yell at each other, i always just dealt with it but my dad decided that when he got pissed off it'd be okay to shove my little sister, 14, and hit me. I've been thinking about emancipation for a while but I don't know how long it would take. I'll be 18 in like 5 months.

Will there be time to get emancipated before I turn 18?

I don't know what to do. I don't want to move back to my moms because I'm sick and tired of moving and moving all my life has affected me a lot. Plus living conditions wouldn't be much better then this there.

Any other options I can consider?

Is getting a notorized letter from my mom saying that I have her permission to live with someone else a legal option?

Default Re: How Long Does It Take

I have been living with my dad for the 2nd year. I moved out of my mom's house because i began getting extremely stressed and my older sister and I also became violent with each other.
    My dad and I always fight and yell at each other, i always just dealt with it but my dad decided that when he got pissed off it'd be okay to shove my little sister, 14, and hit me.
    not illegal, unless and until it becomes abuse. Without more facts, I can't tell you. If you or your sister are being abused, call CPS. Even if it is abuse, it is not grounds for emancipation.

I've been thinking about emancipation for a while but I don't know how long it would take. I'll be 18 in like 5 months.
    not enough time. Even so, you are not eligible for emancipation. You are not self supporting.

Will there be time to get emancipated before I turn 18?
    no. Even if there was, 1) you are not eligible and 2) for 5 months? Seriously? The impatience of youth!

I don't know what to do. I don't want to move back to my moms because I'm sick and tired of moving and moving all my life has affected me a lot. Plus living conditions wouldn't be much better then this there.
    Seems to me that the common factor here is- you. Perhaps the problems at home are at least partly your fault? After all, if there is trouble wherever you go, maybe you are the one causing it. Just food for thought.

Any other options I can consider?
    Wait until you are 18, or get married. Those are it.

Is getting a notorized letter from my mom saying that I have her permission to live with someone else a legal option?
    No. Since your parents are presumably divorced, this would require the permission of BOTH parents, or at the very least, permission of the custodial parent, which in this case appears to be Dad.

Exclamation Re: How Long Does It Take

ok so i was simply asking a question..i wasn't asking for anyone to analyze my life. You don't know whats gone on in my family. So thanks to those who gave advice without dissing me and to those of you who have nothing better to do then make other people feel bad about themselves-maybe you should go fix your own life...

Default Re: How Long Does It Take

In Florida, the parent initiates the emancipation process. So you have the hurdle of being unable to support yourself, and the additional hurdle of getting parental support for your emancipation.

No matter how you slice it, the "big deal" part of this is being able to support yourself. Whether you move out now or in five months, you need to eat, you need a place to stay, you need clothes, probably a car (and gas, and insurance).... How long do you think it will take you to get to the point of self-sufficiency? Because if you make it to that point a month before your birthday and move out, the odds are slight that the police are going to bother to try to make you move back home.

Default Re: How Long Does Emancipation Take

You don't know whats gone on in my family.
    Nor do I care. Neither will the judge. Emancipation is not about foot stomping your way into doing what you want. It is about being self sufficient and poving to the court that you NEED to have all of the responsibility of an adult. Whining about people 'dissing you' is not going to accomplish anything.

My life is just fine and needs no fixing, thank you.

A direct answer? Not enough time, and you are not eligible.

I have had a job since January. I've basically been supporting myself. My dads been taking money out of MY bank account.

Which does not change the fact that in your state, unless YOUR PARENTS are willing to file the petition for emancipation, you're dead in the water.

"Basically supporting" yourself is like saying what? "Approximately supporting" yourself?

Do you have a track record of: Earning and paying all of your bills, including: rent, utilities, food, healthcare, insurance, transportation?

Who bought your food for the last 6 months? Who paid for your place to live? You health insurance? Car? Car insurance? Water? Electric? If the answers to all of the above are not you- then you are not supporting yourself.

Once you have done that, then the hurdle of getting a parent to petition is next.

Then, the next hurdle is proving to the judge that emancipation is in your best interest. That is the toughest of all.

1. Sponsored Links