Default Massachusetts Work Search Requirements

My question is in regard to collecting UI in MA.
    If I accept a low paying, entry level PT job, am I still required to make three job contacts every week and keep a work search log? I have an interview this week, and I am hoping to get a foot in the door at this company with hopes of eventually going full time.
    Thanks

Default Re: Massachusetts Work Search Requirements

That depends.

In MA, you can earn up to 1/3 of your benefits without it affecting your UI benefits; then your benefit is reduced a dollar for dollar on your gross income. So, as an example, if your UI benefit is $300, you can earn up to $100 a week and still collect your full benefit. If you earn $101, your benefit for that week will be $299; if you earn $102, your benefit will be $298, and so on.

If you are still collecting a benefit from the DUA, then you must still make your 3 job contacts a week and keep the log. If you are earning enough at the part time job so that you no longer qualify for benefits, then you needn't.

Hello
    I didn't want ot start a new thread but I have a couple of questions about working part time and receiving UI in MA. Hope that ok.

If I am offered a minimum wage PT job that I don't want do I have to take it?
    ( I had an interview yesterday and said I was interested. I've changed my mind and afraid they will call and offer me the job today.) If I decline the offer am I refusing work?

Can I quit a PT job if I am offered a better PT job while collecting UI? What if it is a conflict of interest i.e. competing retailers?

Thanks

Yes, if you decline the offer you are refusing work.

Yes, you can quit a part time job if you get a better part time job, although it may affect the amount of UI you are entitled to. The more you earn, the less UI you are entitled to, and there is going to come a point where you no longer qualify because of your part time job. See my description above. Whether it is competing retailers makes no nevermind as far as UI is concerned.

Edited to add: Sorry, was in a rush when I responded and didn't have time to add the following example. It can only help you to take on a part time job even if it's low paying. A personal example: Several years ago I was working as the HR director of a small biotech firm which lost its funding and as a result had to let more than half its staff go, including me. The dot-com crash happened at about the same time and outside of a six week contract position I had trouble finding a new job. A friend who owned a small hotel offered me a part time job on the housekeeping staff, saying she knew it wasn't what I was used to but it was all she had open and she wanted to help. When my UI claim expired, it was that part time position that made me eligible for a second claim. The six week contract by itself was not enough, but the part time job not only raised my earnings over the base period so that I qualified again, but also proved to the DUA that I was serious about finding work. So there is really no downside to taking whatever work you can get.

I understand the earnings exclusion part of it but I thought if I exceeded the earnings exclusion it would just leave more money in my "kitty''

My 26 weeks are up in July, I am assuming (hoping) that I will get EUC 08 which will be another 33 weeks.

Why will me working pt eventually disqualify me from receiving benefits? If I only earn 1/3 of my benefit most weeks why would I be cut off? I can't live on $100 a week.

You're misunderstanding me. Or perhaps I wasn't clear.

I didn't mean that working part time would disqualify you from receiving benefits, just that if your earnings increase (due to taking a higher paying job) it will reduce the amount you can collect. The unused money will still be in your kitty until your claim expires.

But, to go back to the example above, if your benefit is $300 per week and you earn $400 at your part time job one week, you will not be entitled to any benefits THAT WEEK because the amount you earned THAT WEEK exceeds the allowable amount to collect THAT WEEK. It doesn't mean that you're disqualified from collecting ever again, just that FOR THAT ONE WEEK you will not be able to collect since you earned too much. If next week you only earn $200, then you're still going to be able to earn a partial benefit next week.

Thank you for clarifying that. It was freaking me out a little.

Now if I could only land that $400/week part time job I could stop asking these dumb questions about unemployment.

thanks again

I recently started collecting UI benefits and was considering a 12 week contract position.

When the contractor position ends and my UI benefits resume, will my original compensation be re-instituted (based on my prior full-time job) or or will it be recalculated and based off the salary I made as the contractor?

I don't want to pursue this contractor job if it's eventually going to reduce the amount of my UI compensation.

No, your benefit will not be recalculated. Any earnings you make NOW will be applied to the NEXT claim you make, assuming that you need to make another claim when this one expires.

Your benefits will resume as is.

1. Sponsored Links