Default Two (2) Expired Inspection Tickets

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: New York / Nassau County

Need advice. I was pulled over and received a ticket for an expired inspection and No insurance card on 2/24/2009. I appeared in court on 3/09/2009 and plead not guilty to both, got my car inspected on 2/09/2009 returned to the court and got the charge reduced (not dismissed unfortunately) to a lesser fine ($90) due on 3/23/2009.

I get a letter in the mail reminding me to pay the fine as it is past due, so i go online and pay. Fine. I pay it, no problem.

I return to court (5/6/09) to clear the Insurance ticket, got that dismissed and the judge mentions i still owe them money for the expired inspection. Strange, i could have sworn i paid that online...I pay another $90 thinking maybe the online transaction didn't go through. I got home to check the receipt online and in my email.

Low and behold, I look over the letter i received and the fine i paid online was for a parking ticket for the same offense (Inspection) issued on 2/8/09 and the fine was due on 3/23/2009, the same date the original ticket payment was due. Insanely coincidental...

My Questions:

1) I was ticketed twice for the same offense. Is this legal?
    2) If not, being that I paid for one ticket, can i get the other refunded/dismissed?

Any input would be helpful as I am out almost $200 on craziness and confusion. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Two (2) Expired Inspection Tickets

Quote Quoting frankieb0nez02
    View Post
    I was pulled over and received a ticket for an expired inspection and No insurance card on 2/24/2009. I appeared in court on 3/09/2009 and plead not guilty to both, got my car inspected on 2/09/2009 returned to the court and got the charge reduced (not dismissed unfortunately) to a lesser fine ($90) due on 3/23/2009.
    Are you sure about the date I underlined? I mean if you had your car inspected and had placed the sticker where it should go on 02/09/2009, why would you get cited for an expired inspection sticker two weeks later?
    Quote Quoting frankieb0nez02
    View Post
    1) I was ticketed twice for the same offense. Is this legal?
    Sure it is. Just because you were cited for an offense does not mean that you have corrected the violation. And by continuing to drive with an expired inspection sticker you are still in violation.

1. Sponsored Links