Default Caught Shoplifting at Walmart

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Texas

i am 18 years old and i was caught shoplifting at walmart. the total amount of what i tried to shoplift was 13 dollars. as i was leaving a loss and prevention officer stopped me and asked me to follow him. i followed him to this office. they took my address and social security number. they did not make me pay for the item but i returned it. he also said i was going to be recieving a letter in the mail from walmart. so my question is am i going to be fined? if so how big of a fine? and is this going on my permanent record?

he also said that i got lucky. idk what he meant by that. he also said the police were not going to be involved in this.

Default Re: Caught Shoplifting at Walmart

You are going to be receiving a demand letter, which is a fine persay. States allow retailers to sue you "civilly"; it's called a Civil Demand. Amounts vary but it's usually between $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on state and amount taken. I would guess your's around $100.00 to $200.00 (just a guess). Whatever the fine, pay it in full and on time!

If not, they can and most likely will turn it over to the authorities and you will be charged with (petty) theft and have to appear in court. If convicted, it can appear on your record, you'll be ordered to pay additional fines, court costs, probation time & fees, community service, etc.

Word of Advise: Before you consider doing anything illegal, please check here first. We'll let you know the outcome. Then you can make an 'educated' decision as to what to do.

any idea on how long it will take before i recieve the letter?

I can only answer your question reguarding to why you 'got lucky'. I was caught at a walmart and the guy told me that if the items totaled to over $25 then he would have to call the police. however, if the total was under that then they wouldnt call the police. that is possibly what he meant becuase your items totaled $13.

1. Sponsored Links