Default Husband Will Not Sign Divorce Papers

I live in the capital city of Alabama and I have filed for divorce. My husband will not sign the divorce papers. I am not asking for anything but a divorce. No money, no home, no bills paid, nothing. He already has a court order child support and it will go down by almost $100 but he has to sign for it to be adjusted. As of now it is an uncontested divorce that I filed and I will have to pay an additional $1050 in which I can not afford my lawyer to file for a contested divorce. What can I do. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Default Re: Husband Will Not Sign Divorce Papers

Unfortunately, you can't force your ex- to agree to settle your divorce case.

Is there a place where I can find out how to file a contested divorce myself? What additional paperwork will I need? I already have the uncontested paperwork what additional info is needed to get the contested paperwork together so I can have him service and get this over with?

Quote Quoting rushunda
    View Post
    Is there a place where I can find out how to file a contested divorce myself?
    You cannot file to contest is 'unacceptance' to your filing. File your paperwork with the courts and he'll be served. You each will get a date for your court appearance and either he shows or doesn't. Either way, your divorce will be granted (after a certain period where children are involved - usually 6 months).

After that, it's a done deal whether he likes it or not.

so.....I have my divorce paperwork in my hand and all "I" have to do is go to the court house and pay the $149 filing fee for Alabama and we will be servced a date to appear in court? Please tell me that is correct and make my day?

I think so. You file the divorce paper as you prepared. Court will serve the summons and complaint to your husband (sometimes you have to do it through private process server if your husband is hard to find). If he choses to respond and denies whats in your complaint, then it becomes contested divorce. If he does not respond to summon, it is uncontested. You get divorce as long as you meet grounds for the divorce. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Wink Husband Will Not Sign Divorce Papers

I would like to thanks you guys so much. I went to the court house today and gave them what I had they took it. My husband will be served and he will have 30days to answer or we will have a default divorce and that was it. As a matter of fact out of the 25 pages my Lawyer had I only needed about 7 pages. Thanks again for all the help you gave me you just don't know. I have been working on this since January of this year.

1. Sponsored Links