Default Child Support Arrears and Getting a Passport

My question involves child support in the State of: Alabama

I have a child which resulted from my first act of sexual activity when I first moved to Alabama. To make a long story very short, a few years passed before it came to my attention that I have a daughter. For this reason, I owe approximately $6500.00 in back support. I've recently married an Australian citizen, and we've talked about what I owe. We want to move to Australia where we can both get decent jobs in order to pay our debts, including my back support. Getting a U.S. Passport has been my demise. I was in good standing with my daughter's mother due to the nature of our past. This changed when I supposedly harrassed the social worker by calling the Birmingham Alabama office because I left several messages at the Madison County office weekly and never got a return call. Patricia Brooks at the Birmingham office proceeded to call the local Madison County office in order to inform them to return my call. Boy was that a bad idea. In the beginning, my daughter's mother was willing to rid of the arrears in order to get my passport back. After speaking with the case worker, we are no longer on speaking terms, which has never been the case. She will no longer let me speak to my daughter either. I owe these monies, and cannot think of a better way to get rid of the debt than to ditch the lowpaying job I currently get paid to do, and to make more then twice the amount doing the exact same thing in Australia. My wife and I just had a baby together, and we cannot afford to pay the arrears in our current situation. I have been told by the case worker that they cannot make payment arrangements with me in order to get my passport back. Mind you, this is a case where the mother did not receive any government assistance. Also, the $6500.00 is accompanied by over $5000.00 in interest, but the social worker states that all that has to be paid is the $6500.00 in arrears and she can take my name out of the system for passport revokation. I don't have $6500.00, but I would if I were able to go to Melbourne Australia and accept the job offer than I've received. I have been told many things since I embarked on my journey for information. I don't know how to put the first foot forward at this point. I'm sure it matters not, but I'm not at all sure what the caseworker told my daughter's mother aside from the plea of harrassment that she whispered into her ear. I'm tired at this point, have little money left, and have no idea where to go at this point. My wife's family offered to help after finding out the story behind it all from my wife, but they cannot afford to pay $6500.00. And it is very hard to work with a case worker who has a vendetta against you because she got into trouble for not returning calls. I need to know how I can get my passport back so that I can feel like a man again, instead of feeling like a deadbeat dad like everyone thinks that you are no matter what your story is. I need my legs back. I have no idea what my options are at this point, aside from paying the $6500.00 in full (not known what interest in excess of 5k has do to with it all), which is what the case worker stated is my only option now that she drove a wedge between my daughter's mother and I, and my daughter for that matter. Keep in mind, all I need is my passport so that I can pay off my debt, and hold my head high again.

Default Re: Alabama Child Support Arrears and Passport

Read this. If you want your passport back, you need to pay your arrearage. Asking you to support your own child isn't a "vendetta".

#1: Thanks, but I've already looked at that website
    #2: I'm not avoiding paying, because even if she drugged me, and took atvantage of me in the seat of a car on my campus my freshman year at college, the child is still mine
    #3: I asked because I throught that there may be a way to make payment arrangements and to get my passport.

I'm not going to type a million letter essay on my problem again, and get a 2 second response and a link that I can google and the result be at the top of my list. This world isn't black and white, and neither is my problem...obviously, or I wouldn't have asked. Sometimes people get stuck into situations which are no fault of theirs, and they depend on YOU because it's their last resort before doing something more drastic. Pardon me for my feelings about your answer, but I've always felt that "assuming" that someone is in the wrong and looking down on a person because they have no money and all they're accounts are in the negative that they're not worth taking the time to give a caring response to. Should I have to also explain to you that the suicide rate increases during a recession? I predict that you'd say that maybe they should get psychiatric help and supply a "google-able" link that takes just a few seconds for you to explore? Or maybe you would tell them that this is the wrong message board and to start a new thread under a relative topic to their issue? Thanks, but no thanks.

Again, here's your response: "Read this. If you want your passport back, you need to pay your arrearage. Asking you to support your own child isn't a "vendetta". " The portion in red is very damaging, and thanks for that, I really appreciate it.

I essentially had high expectations for this message board, but obviously this is another bad idea by me. Another rock thrown into the river of nothingness.
    By your response, it'd be safe to assume by anyone that you didn't read my post to it's entirety. Thanks for your well thought-out and understanding response. It was about as useful as a pet-rock. Free legal counseling is definitely self explanatory. I guess you get what you pay for, and if this is all I can afford, I'm better off being another statistic that parks their car in the woods with a bottle of sleeping pills, a nice and long flex-pipe, and a few deep breaths of carbon-monoxide. That's about the only option I can afford at this point anyway.

Sorry that you don't like getting accurate answers to your questions. Have a nice day.

I need serious law related and factual advice not undeserved character criticism/opinions. If there is someone out there who can really relay helpful options to me (who falls under the category of "expert law"), then by all means, do so. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Quote Quoting JWG
    View Post
    I need serious law related and factual advice not undeserved character criticism/opinions. If there is someone out there who can really relay helpful options to me (who falls under the category of "expert law"), then by all means, do so. I'd greatly appreciate it.
    You did recieve the law related advice through the link provided.
    You should contact the CS enforcement agency to see what arrangements can be made.

1. Sponsored Links