Default Shoplifting in Virginia, First Offense

My question involves criminal law for the state of: VA

Questions: What will the likely sentence be? Should I hire a lawyer? What should I plea?

Yesterday my friend and I were at Macy's and were caught stealing some cloths from Macy's. Neither of us had ever stolen before, but our friends had told s they had and it was easy and since we didn't have any money we decided to try it (obviously it was extremely stupid). My friend's total ended up being around $375 and mine was around $246. The police were called and we were charged with it as a felony since it was over $200. Some of the officers told us that 9/10 times the charge will be reduced to a misdemeanor and that 9/10 there won't be jail time involved. They also didn't seem to think it was necessary to get a lawyer. I was mainly wondering if this was true, if we should invest in a lawyer anyway, and also what we should plea. It's obvious that we were guilty, but I've read on near that it's always best to plead not guilty. Also what does it mean to plead "no contest"?

Default Re: Shoplifting in Virginia, First Offense

Get a lawyer. VA is a bit hard on shoplifters. My sister got caught but the amount was high, about $600 and got jailtime even after being reduced to a misdemeanor. She starts serving her sentance tomorrow for 30 days in Fairfax county and this was her 1st offense.

Not to say that the same will happen to you but I would get a criminal lawyer who will tell you what to expect. Fairfax and Loundon County are harsh but Prince William County is not as harsh.

I cannot advise you on the other questions you have but please get a lawyer.

You should definitely consult with a Criminal Defense Lawyer. Many offer free 1/2 hour consultations - come prepared with your questions.

If you can afford a lawyer, I recommend it. I just did this in Michigan. Misdemeanor 3rd Degree Retail Fraud ended up with a reduced plea of "Disorderly Person". Looks a lot better on a job application and criminal search than "Theft" does.

If jail time was involved, usually it wont be more than 2 days. If it remains a felony, you may have to wait in jail for probation or whatever it is they decide to give you.

1. Sponsored Links