Default Driveway - Distance from Property Line

My question involves real estate located in the State of Pennsylvania (Columbia County), which is simply how far a driveway must be in respect to a property line. Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Driveway - Distance from Property Line

that is going to be a local ordinance call. You would have to contact the local controlling municipality for the answer.

but I do have to say, if it doesn't abut the property line, what good is it? How will you get off your property?
    (that's a joke)

Therein lies the problem. My neighbor is the local codes enforcer, and is known for being deceptive ;he presently has a fence built right on our property line as well as about a good foot worth of items encroaching on our land and is as I type this adding in dirt on our side of the fence seeming to advance further . I really can't ask him without him trying to intimidate me, and I'd rather avoid a confrontation like that if I can (gotta love these jerkwater towns). Would the county courthouse/administration be able to answer this one?

Again, thank you for your response!

well, regardless of how close to the property line one can build a drive, they cannot encroach on the neighbors (your) property.

Send him a cease and desist letter and time you are willing to live with for him to repair your property. If he fails to do so, I would suggest hiring an attorney to send a similar letter and then sue the guy, including seeking an injunction to order him to stop encroaching any further onto your land and an order from the courts for him to repair your land at his own expense with time frame after which you will be allowed to repair and bill the neighbor for the costs.

One thing to be certain of before entertaining any action; have an exact location of the property line i.e. a current and accurate survey.

Much obliged. The main reason I asked about the driveway is b/c, besides having been here for 20+ years, the neighbor had recently completed a survey, built his fence on the established line, and installed metal spikes at the marker area at the corner of our driveway (he gave us some spiel about why we couldn't do it, again relating to the property line). These spikes were accidentally backed over by my parents, which punctured a tire. Instead of offering to replace the tire or respond in a proper "neighborly" way, he instead alleged that we're too close to his property.

I would like to know whatever information I can and thus circumvent ignorance should I need to address him along with the township, if necessary.

well, if the folks drove over the marker spike, they were too close to the line. In fact, they were over the line.

Some municipalities have setback requirements for fences both from the side lines as well as the front line of a property. You should check with (again) the powers that be.

The one thing about a marker spike; if the roadway has a right of way a certain distance from the centerline of the road (or other such points) nobody could place a spike in that area. It is generally illegal to place a fence or any other item in that area as well. If the spike was in that area, then the neighbor could possibly be held liable for the damaged tire. Just not sure of your situation and where everything lays out.

Just wanted to comment on this and I don't disagree with jk.

In fact I agree with jk completely. It sounds as if you have been a victim of some local BS from a neighbor who is a minor bureaucrat in your township.

If he had the land surveyed, it would already be marked by a surveyor's pin and cap and it would be flush with the ground (and not a hazard) and would not require a "spike" at the corner. In fact if your neighbor set a spike or other mark on the actual corner part of it would be on your property, and not being set by a surveyor, could be removed by you and returned to your neighbor

For myself, I would just pull it and toss it back onto his property.

1. Sponsored Links