Default Define "Improper Lane Change"

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Georgia

I received a speeding ticket last night for 65 in a 35. I'm new to the area, and would have never guessed a 6 lane road in a commercial area (in front of a Best Buy!) would be a 35 MPH zone.
    Anyway, the nice officer said I did an improper lane change too. I stated that I had signaled, looked to be sure i could change lanes, as I needed to get over to the dedicated right turn lane, and then went. I asked what was improper about that, and he said that "Because it was". He didn't cite me for it, but he wrote on the speeding citation that he had warned me for improper lane change. I'm gonna go see the judge and ask for a reduced sentance, but this additional statement may hurt me.
    I admit I didn't know it was only a 35 zone, therefore I was wrong. But the lane change thing bothers me.

I have searched, but I can't find the definition of what defines "Improper lane change". Any ideas?
    Or definitions?

Default Re: Define "Improper Lane Change"

Quote Quoting palmtree907
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Georgia

I received a speeding ticket last night for 65 in a 35. I'm new to the area, and would have never guessed a 6 lane road in a commercial area (in front of a Best Buy!) would be a 35 MPH zone.
    Anyway, the nice officer said I did an improper lane change too. I stated that I had signaled, looked to be sure i could change lanes, as I needed to get over to the dedicated right turn lane, and then went. I asked what was improper about that, and he said that "Because it was". He didn't cite me for it, but he wrote on the speeding citation that he had warned me for improper lane change. I'm gonna go see the judge and ask for a reduced sentance, but this additional statement may hurt me.
    I admit I didn't know it was only a 35 zone, therefore I was wrong. But the lane change thing bothers me.

I have searched, but I can't find the definition of what defines "Improper lane change". Any ideas?
    Or definitions?
    Since you were NOT cited for the "improper lane change", and although I do appreciate and understand your wanting to learn how it should be done so you can get it right then next time... I am not sure how that impacts the allegation that you were driving at almost twice the speed limit (65mph in 35mph) which you are admitting to.

I agree that it might hurt your chances of getting any leniency from the court but just by you driving at almost twice the limit, any hope of leniency is probably highly speculative.

So you were cited for speeding, you admit to speeding (65 in 35 = BIG TIME) and yet you think the judge should offer you a reduced sentence?

Quote Quoting palmtree907
    View Post
    I had signaled, looked to be sure i could change lanes, as I needed to get over to the dedicated right turn lane, and then went.
    if you did all that in under a second, then it could be improper.... I don't know how or why he said it was improper...

How about you search for "Proper lane change" and see what you missed. Better yet, look through the Georgia Driver's Manual (should be on the Department of Motor Vehicle website).

Stop making such a big issue of the improper lane change... .

Default Re: Define "Improper Lane Change"

I agree with That Guy -- don't make a big deal about something you WEREN'T given a ticket for. But, just so you'll know, here's the Georgia law regarding lane changes:
    Quote Quoting O.C.G.A. § 40-6-48
    § 40-6-48. Driving on roadways laned for traffic

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following rules, in addition to all others consistent with this Code section, shall apply:

(1) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety;

(2) Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes, and provides for two-way movement of traffic, with two lanes in one direction, a vehicle being driven in a continuous or center lane shall have the right of way when overtaking and passing another vehicle traveling in the same direction;

(3) Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes and provides for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and passing another vehicle traveling in the same direction when such center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in preparation for making a left turn, or where such center lane is at the time allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the same direction that the vehicle is proceeding and such allocation is designated by official traffic-control devices or road striping;

(4) Official traffic-control devices may be erected directing specified traffic, including but not limited to buses or trucks, to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of the roadway, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such device; and

(5) Official traffic-control devices may be installed prohibiting the changing of lanes on sections of roadway, and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of every such device.
    Note that it does not define "improper" lane changes, only that you shouldn't change lanes until it is safe to do so. Of course, what is "safe" is a matter of subjective opinion -- and an officer's opinion will usually trump yours.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

1. Sponsored Links