Default Taking Care of Old, Unpaid Tickets

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: California.

First time on this site - first time seeking help.

While serving in the US Navy in San Diego I acquired a couple jaywalking tickets and speeding tickets. Being young a stupid and not knowing how important good credit is, I did not pay these tickets thinking they may go away. The balance about a year and half ago was around $2,000 for all the tickets. There is no way I can pay the balance in total at one time, but was wondering if there were any legal actions I could take or if there was another service I could use to assist me in getting the tickets paid. The main reason I am now addressing this issue is because my credit has declined to now being poor and I wouldn't get approved for a loan to pay the balance off. I have been in college for 2 years and only have 2 more years until I graduate and seek a good job. I need to address this issue and get it taken care of.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: 3-4 Old Tickets

You can inquire with the court as to whether you can be placed on a payment plan. You can also pay off the tickets one at a time, as you're able.

Default Re: Taking Care of Old, Unpaid Tickets

Quote Quoting Boston21
    View Post
    There is no way I can pay the balance in total at one time, but was wondering if there were any legal actions I could take or if there was another service I could use to assist me in getting the tickets paid.
    If you never appeared on these tickets, you can contact the court to schedule appearances for you before a judge who will hear each case. You can still have your day in court if you feel you were not in violation of the offenses you were cited for.

Just know that these tickets will never go away by themselves nor is there a "driving record repair service" that can make them go away.

Quote Quoting Boston21
    View Post
    The main reason I am now addressing this issue is because my credit has declined to now being poor and I wouldn't get approved for a loan to pay the balance off.
    I have not heard of unpaid traffic tickets affecting your credit rating. At least not in L A County or any surrounding counties. San Diego, maybe different.

What they will eventually affect, is your ability to drive. Courts in California are now placing holds on drivers who have any "Failure To Appear" &/or "Failure To Pay" (California Vehicle Code Section 40508). That by itself, can cost you approximately $500 per FTA/FTP per citation. Those "holds" are sent out in the forms of notices to the DMV who will in turn suspend your license and will not re-instate that privilege until these matters are taken care of. They will send you a notice notifying you of the pending suspension, however, their obligation to notify you is limited to them mailing you that notice. Whether you receive it or not, has no bearing or effect on the fact that you were "duly notified".

You get pulled over one day, and up pops the license suspension, now you're dealing with a misdemeanor for driving while suspended, a high fine, possible jail time, your vehicle can be towed and impounded for 30 days... All because you were as you described it as "young and stupid" at some point in the past. A phase, we all have gone through. Even without a suspension, the officer can also view your past driving record on his MDT; and can make a simple stop into a big ordeal if he so chooses.

In fact, if I were you, I would check with the DMV about the status of your license ASAP... It might be on hold/suspended without you knowing it.

Like Mr. Knowitall stated, courts will allow payment plans if you're showing initiative even though you have failed to fulfill your promise to appear when you signed the citation.

1. Sponsored Links