Default Grandmother's Rights and Adoption in Michigan

My question involves grandparents rights in the State of MICHIGAN:

My daughter and son-in-law’s parental rights were terminated three years ago for their two daughters. The same temporary adoptive family has had them, pending adoption, for all three years and has allowed me, a single grandmother, to visit them and speak to them on the phone liberally. In February, we both submitted applications to adopt the girls. Since then, they have terminated all contact with me. The adoptive agency will do nothing. Do I have any rights to see my granddaughters? Can I file a motion?

Default Re: Grandmother's Rights and Adoption in Michigan

Unfortunately, if a parent's rights are terminated through protective proceedings, so are the rights of the child's extended family.

Quote Quoting Randysland
    View Post
    My question involves grandparents rights in the State of MICHIGAN:

My daughter and son-in-law’s parental rights were terminated three years ago for their two daughters. The same temporary adoptive family has had them, pending adoption, for all three years and has allowed me, a single grandmother, to visit them and speak to them on the phone liberally. In February, we both submitted applications to adopt the girls. Since then, they have terminated all contact with me. The adoptive agency will do nothing. Do I have any rights to see my granddaughters? Can I file a motion?
    I've been in this exact situation, my husband and I having adopted 2 children whose parents rights were terminated. We had the full support of the maternal grandparents, and allowed contact with them all during the proceedings and instead of losing their 2 grandchildren, they actually gained 2 more (our own 2 children). They are now family and are invited to all holidays and birthdays, and are able to see all the grandchildren (who are all treated the same by the grandparents) pretty much any time they like.

The paternal grandparents did exactly what you did. I can tell you if the children are removed from the parents by the state, having the grandparents try to adopt is a common action of those parents to try to get their kids back ILLEGALLY from the state. It doesn't work. The agencies are all wise to those tactics and will do everything they can to block that type of adoption. Parental rights were taken for a reason.

Unfortunately, you had a good thing going and really messed up. Most likely you would have continued to have liberal contact with your grandchildren, much like any grandparent in a normal family situation. Instead now you are going to have to wait to see how this plays out.

Michigan Law: Quoting 722.27b Order for grandparenting time: states that "a grandparent filing a complaint or motion under this section must prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the parent's decision to deny grandparenting time creates a substantial risk of harm to the child's mental, physical, or emotional health. If the grandparent does not overcome the presumption, the court shall dismiss the complaint or deny the motion."

Since we haven't been permitted to see or talk to the grandkids in over a year, how can we possibly overcome this presumption.

Would the Judge be likely to talk to the 11 and 9 year old?

1. Sponsored Links