Default Can You Collect Unemployment After Disability Insurance Runs Out

Hello (CA):
    I was wondering if anybody new the answer to this question? Could I collect unemployment insurance after my disability insurance runs out? What has happened is that my doctor gave me my entire pregnancy off from work (I am currently 7 months pregnant) because of pregnancy complications. I took the disability and started collecting disability insurance which I believe will end 3 months after I have the baby. Recently though, the job I had, sent me a letter stating that they terminated my employment. They did this 4 months after I had been out of work and on disability and which I knew would likely happen - it was legal. By law they only had to hold my position for 4 months. My question is, could I apply for unemployment insurance after the disability insurance ends? It will likely end mind September. And they let me go just a few weeks ago (April). Thank you, Melissa

Default Re: Can I Collect Unemployment Insur After

You can apply, certainly. However, unless you have been medically cleared to return to work, you will likely be denied until you are. In order to collect unemployment, you must be able to work, actively looking for work, and able to accept work if offered.

Default Re: Can I Collect Unemployment Insur After

a question for cbg:

is the disability payments considered income for the earnings required to qualify for UI?

Mylissa; If not you may also have problems qualifying as you have to earn a certain amount in each quarter in the previous 4 quarters before the last quarter.

Default Re: Can You Collect Unemployment After Disability Insurance Runs Out

Thank you both for your responses. Now I know what could possibly happen and what to keep in mind, and inquiry about when I call EDD. thank you, Melissa

jk; not in any state that I am familiar with. But CA tends to surprise.

In any case, she can certainly APPLY. The worst the EDD can say is no.

Ca. SDI payments are not UI eligible wages.

However, agree, would go ahead & apply.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Does anyone know if Mylissa received her unemployment?

I don't believe she was going to apply for unemployment ins. until her DI ran out (which she thought would be in Sept.) & when she was medically cleared to work. She must qualify "financially" & be ready, willing & able to work - she hadn't even had her baby yet when she posted.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links