Default Greencard Marriage Hunting Me Back

Iīm from Uruguay but lived ilegally in NY since 1986 I married an american girl in 1995, for the greencard paying her a few thousand dollars.
    Plan didnīt work and they denied my greencard. I never ask her for the money back.
    I left US in 2001, leaving her $500 and signed papers for the divorce.

I lost touch with my wife, asuming that either the marriage was void(for being proved the intentions behind) or that she had filed the divorce.

Recently she found me through FaceBook and promt me to call her urgently. I sent her my email and phone numbers here in Uruguay.
    She never called but she wrote asking me money for the divorce which cost $1200.
    I reply saying that I didnīt have any money but I could help her sending her my signature if she needed.
    She reply threating me with filing for spousal support if I donīt send her at least $500 and reminding me that is has been almost 8 years! and that she had to pay $300 to try to find me...

Need help telling me how can she affect me? I donīt have or had a greencard nor live in the States. Never lived together nor held anything together. I donīt own anything....
    What she did is ilegal and she IS a US cityzen... shouldnīt she be more worried than me?
    Please give me some advice, I will much apreciate

Default Re: Greencard Marriage Hunting Me Back

She's shaking you down. If you send her money, in my estimation, she'll simply ask you for more.

You can't stop her from filing a divorce action in New York, and claiming whatever she feels like claiming in court. It's difficult to defend yourself, given that you're probably not eligible to travel to the U.S. for court proceedings. But you will be able to defend against any effort to collect spousal support from you in Uruguay.

Meanwhile, file your own divorce action in Uruguay, and take care of at least that much.

Default Re: Greencard Marriage Hunting Me Back

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    She's shaking you down. If you send her money, in my estimation, she'll simply ask you for more.

You can't stop her from filing a divorce action in New York, and claiming whatever she feels like claiming in court. It's difficult to defend yourself, given that you're probably not eligible to travel to the U.S. for court proceedings. But you will be able to defend against any effort to collect spousal support from you in Uruguay.

Meanwhile, file your own divorce action in Uruguay, and take care of at least that much.
    Thank you very much for you posting your reply. How would I go about file out my divorse from Uruguay? Would I go to the US consultate? Would they do it from here?
    Wouldnīt I need her signature to carried it out? Would I need an attorney for it?
    Should you know any of these answers, I would be very apreciative to get a reply.
    G.

1. Sponsored Links