Default If I Have a Warrant, Will They Arrest Me at the DMV

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: NV

I want to transfer my out of state license to my current state, will the dmv allow me to transfer my license if i have an unpaid traffic ticket which resulted in a warrant?

Default Re: If I Have a Warrant, Will They Arrest Me at the Dmv

I want to transfer my out of state license to my current state, will the dmv allow me to transfer my license if i have an unpaid traffic ticket which resulted in a warrant?
    Typically not until you get the warrant cleared up.

Being arrested at the DMV is unlikely.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Smile Re: If I Have a Warrant, Will They Arrest Me at the DMV

I stressed over this same issue for my brother for months before we started doing some heavy investigating on our own. He has a state parole warrant for a minor violation, all the same its a warrant and he lost his DL. He had no ID and was terrified to go to the California DMV. We called them several times and asked different reps if he would be arrested, getting a feel if they were setting him up. Well the answer was always, people seem to think we will call the police but we DO NOT have that ino. Satified he went in last Friday and with absolutely no problem he got his DL. The lady was even joking with him, and a cop was actually in there doing some of his own DMV work, so its true, they DO NOT have that information, at least in California, they want you to carry some ID so they will give it to you if you lost it.

Default Re: If I Have a Warrant, Will They Arrest Me at the DMV

Quote Quoting Animotion
    View Post
    I stressed over this same issue for my brother for months before we started doing some heavy investigating on our own. He has a state parole warrant for a minor violation, all the same its a warrant and he lost his DL. He had no ID and was terrified to go to the California DMV. We called them several times and asked different reps if he would be arrested, getting a feel if they were setting him up. Well the answer was always, people seem to think we will call the police but we DO NOT have that ino. Satified he went in last Friday and with absolutely no problem he got his DL. The lady was even joking with him, and a cop was actually in there doing some of his own DMV work, so its true, they DO NOT have that information, at least in California, they want you to carry some ID so they will give it to you if you lost it.
    It is not that they don't have the information. Fact is, if the driver's license in on hold for failing to pay a fine and assuming the hold was placed by a court, it takes effect at the DMV. Additionally the reason for the license hold whether it be pursuant to a Penal Code section or a vehicle Code section, that violation is a part of the driver's record at the DMV.

The reason he wasn't arrested at the DMV was due to the fact that none of the employees at your local DMV office (at least in California) are law enforcement officers with the authority to make an arrest based on an outstanding warrant.

In the case where a driver has an out of state driver's license, and assuming that the Original Home State and the New State where he wishes to aquire a new driver's license are both participants in what is referred to as the Driver's license Compact then the reason for the license hold/suspension is reported by the Home State and that same information will appear in the records of the New State accordingly. Therefore the application for the replacement license will be denied. I am not gonna comment about a possible arrest at the Nevada DMV because I do not know.

Quote Quoting That Guy
    View Post
    It is not that they don't have the information. Fact is, if the driver's license in on hold for failing to pay a fine and assuming the hold was placed by a court, it takes effect at the DMV. Additionally the reason for the license hold whether it be pursuant to a Penal Code section or a vehicle Code section, that violation is a part of the driver's record at the DMV.

The reason he wasn't arrested at the DMV was due to the fact that none of the employees at your local DMV office (at least in California) are law enforcement officers with the authority to make an arrest based on an outstanding warrant.

In the case where a driver has an out of state driver's license, and assuming that the Original Home State and the New State where he wishes to aquire a new driver's license are both participants in what is referred to as the Driver's license Compact then the reason for the license hold/suspension is reported by the Home State and that same information will appear in the records of the New State accordingly. Therefore the application for the replacement license will be denied. I am not gonna comment about a possible arrest at the Nevada DMV because I do not know.
    "Thatguy", you now have my full and utter attention. That was phenomenal. I thought I was the only one on the planet who could speak "DMV" in such a manner. I don't however like the fact that you are now my competition.

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    "Thatguy", you now have my full and utter attention.

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    That was phenomenal.
    Thank you very much... I learned all that on my own personal time...

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    I thought I was the only one on the planet who could speak "DMV" in such a manner.
    After reading the disclaimer in your signature, I can assume there is quite a bit you can teach me though.

Quote Quoting licensegrl
    View Post
    I don't however like the fact that you are now my competition.
    OK, I'll take my last line back and I will say "I welcome the challenge"!!! You gotta promise me something though... That you will not hesitate to ask me any questions about something you're not sure about... LOL

I'm just kidding you... You can rest assured that I still have a thing or two to learn... In fact, wanna compare who has a worse driving record at the DMV... You can win that one with your eyes closed.

(Not that I am a bad driver... { I am a good driver; yeah, I'm a very good driver!!! Rain Man } I just happened to get unlucky and got caught speeding... oh... about XXXXXteen times! )

In fact, I have been awarded a title by the California DMV... And no, it has nothing to do with my knowledge of their procedures!

1. Sponsored Links