Default Shoplifting in Walmart, Sterling Heights, Michigan, Non Citizen

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I am 32 years old and it happened in one of the walmart stores in sterling Heights. I was there with my husband and my kids my son 5 years old and my daughter 4. We bought some staff and I did hide some clothes for the kids in the merchandise value of $36. When we were going out three of them cam closed to us and turned us back in the office. They required our id cards. My husband gave his and I said that I did not have mine. After a while one of the corp came and required our ID cards. Then I gave mine only to him. He asked and even verified if we were arrested before. Then he told use to go home, no fingerprints no, photos no jail. HE told us that there will be a court date in a few weeks. It is almost one week. We are in USA from one year and we are Green Card holders. No previous criminal records.
    Which degree will be our case, first, second or third. Will it affect our Green Card and procedure for naturalization and do we have a criminal check actually even we did not give our fingerprints or we did not go to the police station or jail. It was not my intention to come in US and steal this is my very first time and will forever the last. Will we be together convicted or separately. We have already contacted to a lawyer and he told us that there will be no jail for us as it is the first time. But I am scared for the deportation. Will our criminal record affect our lifes here?

thank you

Default Re: Shoplifting in Walmart, Sterling Heights, Michigan, Non Citizen

Any time you choose to commit a crime in your host country, you put your immigration status in peril. Odds are, with an isolated incident of misdemeanor shoplifting (the 93-day misdemeanor offense) it's going to fall under the petty offense exception to crimes of moral turpitude, so as to not cost you your status or prevent eventual naturalization, but I can only speak to the odds.

You should work with a criminal defense lawyer to try to get a dismissal or other outcome that does not involve a conviction or allocution (stating under oath, on the record, facts constituting the offense).

OOPS! Saw some deletions.....time to go back to behaving I reckon!
    "Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
    There is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically without pity."
    Robert A. Heinlein

The generic "Ju teh noob" insult got old 8 years ago! A+ for effort, but F for content! Next time, try picking on someone your own size. (someone who speaks English......., if you haven't figured it out already.)

As for saving on taxes, I have to extract all the money I paid for college here + interest first. BTW, we get jobs here because most Americans are too dumb to do be able to do them. eg. Q: "What is the currency of the UK?" A: "Queen money."

I'm done with this site. BTW, I'm no troll. The people above pissed me off with their arrogance and ignorance.

1. Sponsored Links