Default Mississippi Expungement for Misdemeanor for False Pretenses

My question involves expungements or pardons for the state of: Mississippi

I was charged with a felony for false pretenses back in 1995, and I was 20 years old. However, I did not go to court for this charge until 2001, but was only charged with a misdemeanor for false pretense. I had never been in trouble with the law before, so it was my first offense. I received 1 year unsupervised probation, and $1000 fine. I am working on my masters in secondary education, and although this will not impeded from receiving my teacher’s license, I would really like to have my record expunged…if possible.

Does Mississippi Law M.C. § 99-19-71 apply to my circumstance?

Default Re: Mississippi Expungement for Misdemeanor for False Pretenses

You first say "I was charged with a felony for false pretenses"; you then say you were "only charged with a misdemeanor". Did you mean convicted?
    Quote Quoting Mississippi Code § 99-19-71. Expunction of misdemeanor conviction of first offender upon petition.
    (1) Any person who has been convicted of a misdemeanor, excluding a conviction for a traffic violation, and who is a first offender, may petition the justice, county, circuit or municipal court, as may be applicable, for an order to expunge any such conviction from all public records. Upon entering such order, a nonpublic record thereof shall be retained by the court and by the Mississippi Criminal Information Center solely for the purpose of determining whether, in subsequent proceedings, such person is a first offender. The effect of such order shall be to restore such person, in the contemplation of the law, to the status he occupied before such arrest. No person as to whom such order has been entered shall be held thereafter under any provision of law to be guilty of perjury or to have otherwise given a false statement by reason of his failure to recite or acknowledge such arrest or conviction in response to any inquiry made of him for any purpose, except for the purpose of determining in any subsequent proceedings under this section, whether such person is a first offender.

(2) Upon petition therefor, a justice, county, circuit or municipal court shall expunge the record of any case in which an arrest was made, the person arrested was released and the case was dismissed or the charges were dropped or there was no disposition of such case.

Default Re: Mississippi Expungement for Misdemeanor for False Pretenses

I meant that when I did finally go to court that the charges had been reduced to misdemeanor. I was charged and pled guilty to a misdemeanor for false pretenses.

1. Sponsored Links