Default Having Rights Restored in Michigan

My question involves expungements or pardons for the state of: Michigan.
    Can anyone tell me if I can have my rights restored from a 1988 felony possesion conviction in Michigan if I have a 2006 misdemeanor conviction in Florida? Can I get one or either convictions overturned or retried??? Thank you

Default Re: Having Rights Restored in Michigan

If you continue to post demands for an answer to other people's threads, your account will be closed.

If you're talking about federal firearms rights, as Michigan expungement does not restore your right to serve on a jury and leaves certain CCW restrictions in place, it alone is not sufficient to overcome the federal ban on gun ownership by a convicted felon. You can read the details here.

You can only obtain an expungement in Michigan if you are "a person who is convicted of not more than 1 offense"; you describe two. But you don't appear to be eligible for relief from your Florida conviction, due to your Michigan conviction.

If you want to try to work your way out of this one, it will likely take the assistance of lawyers in both states, and no small amount of luck.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    If you continue to post demands for an answer to other people's threads, your account will be closed.

If you're talking about federal firearms rights, as Michigan expungement does not restore your right to serve on a jury and leaves certain CCW restrictions in place, it alone is not sufficient to overcome the federal ban on gun ownership by a convicted felon. You can read the details here.

You can only obtain an expungement in Michigan if you are "a person who is convicted of not more than 1 offense"; you describe two. But you don't appear to be eligible for relief from your Florida conviction, due to your Michigan conviction.

If you want to try to work your way out of this one, it will likely take the assistance of lawyers in both states, and no small amount of luck.
    Or money.....

In addition, 18 USC 922(g) does not allow for a restoration of rights for convicted felons. The only way that expungement can help is for misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, which does allow for restoration under 18 USC 921.

18 USC 922(g):

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person—
    (1) who has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
    <snip>

to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce, any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

Thanks for the input. Sorry, I didn't mean to jump all over anyone's thread, I am new to this and learning. I need to try to get this worked out. I guess I just have to keep calling attorneys in both states until I find someone with enough pull to get this done. Thanks again

1. Sponsored Links