Default Fare Evasion on PATH Train

My question inI was wrongly accused of fare evasion on the PATH train. I was given a ticket by a cop for 31$ , to either pay the ticket and plead guilty by mail
    or go to court and fight the case

It so happened that i tapped my PATH card at the handicapped turnstile and it opened up adn i walked through. SInce i do this every morning little did i realize that it had not captured the card properly sicne my indication is genrally the opening of the turnstile. However a copy came from behind and stopped me and issued with a ticket. Although i explained him that i had a card with trips on it to pay the fare and tapped my card he wopuldnt listedn to me and asked me to explain in court

I am confused as to whether it is worth the effort of going through court
    and going to trail against a 31$ ticket sicne i wotn end up losing pay at work

Also can i talk to the public prosecutor before appearing before the judge
    I have the whole card transaction history that i had a valid card been paying
    on all days before and after that .. i dont know why it did not capture the card properly on that day. PATh says it records only valid captures and not errors, but they do acknowledge that an error does occur on the machine to casue this situation

Please advise
    volves criminal law for the state of:

Default Re: Fare Evasion on PATH Train

How valuable is your time to you? Is it worth losing a whole day's pay to fight the ticket on principle?

I don't know about you, but I make more than $31 a day. If I were in your shoes, I would simply pay the ticket and call it done.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

its not about that ..i make more than that in a hour of work
    its just that im an h1b holder and i diont know how this
    is going to affect my record during visa renewal or
    naturalization .. i would be happy to throw 31 dollars
    if i didnt have to plead guilty

Default Fare Evasion

My question involves criminal law for the state of: NJ

My question inI was wrongly accused of fare evasion on the PATH train. I was given a ticket by a cop for 31$ , to either pay the ticket and plead guilty by mail or go to court and fight the case

It so happened that opn my mway to work i tapped my PATH card at the handicapped turnstile and it opened up and i walked through. SInce i do this every morning little did i realize that it had not captured the card properly sicne my indication is generally the opening of the turnstile.

However a cop came from behind and stopped me and issued me with a ticket. Although i explained him that i had a card with trips on it to pay the fare and tapped my card he wouldnt listed to me and asked me to explain in court

I am confused as to whether it is worth the effort of going through court
    and going to trail against a 31$ ticket since i wotn end up losing pay at work

Also can i talk to the public prosecutor before appearing before the judge
    I have the whole card transaction history that i had a valid card been paying
    on all days before and after that .. i dont know why it did not capture the card properly on that day. PATh says it records only valid captures and not errors, but they do acknowledge that an error does occur on the machine to casue this situation

Default Re: Fare Evasion

The rule against double-posting? It applies to you.

What was the final outcome? what did you do? I am having similar situation

1. Sponsored Links