Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Qualifying to Take the GED

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Ohio

I'm 17 years old, and i'm already aware of the non existance of the emancipation law in ohio, but i'm already married, which was done in Arizona, but my spouse and I moved to ohio, now all i'm trying to do is take a GED test, and the ohio school board keeps saying i need parental consent, and i'm like look my mom is all the way in arizona, and i'm not in close contact with her obviously, i'm married, and the law is if your married in ohio your automatically emancipated correct? All they keep telling me is "marriage doesnt mean emancipated and do you have a court order stating that your married?" And i'm like does anyone in the state in ohio know the laws of ohio??!!!! because they if so, they should know good and well it is impossible for me to get a court order of emancipation in ohio because there is no such thing!! So what should i do?? What..just wait until i'm 18 just to get my GED!? Ohio is really messing up my plans of going to college right now!

Default Re: Married in Ohio.having a Hard Time

Pity it didn't occur to you to check the requirements for getting a GED in Ohio before you took a couple of irrevocable steps. In order to enroll for a GED in Ohio, you have to be 19 years of age. Yes, that's 19, not 18. It is not a typo. (HINT: Emancipation, whether by marriage or any other method, does not make other age-related laws and regulations go away.) Your only HOPE of an exception is to have the superintendent of schools from your school district IN ARIZONA to complete the waiver form, if he will, and then keep your fingers crossed that Ohio will accept an out of state waiver.

Skipping over several steps of your life in order to play house isn't all it's cracked up to be, is it?

Default Re: Qualifying to Take the GED

Your only HOPE of an exception is to have the superintendent of schools from your school district IN ARIZONA to complete the waiver form, if he will, and then keep your fingers crossed that Ohio will accept an out of state waiver.
    ...and cross them hard. See, we have graduation tests here in Ohio now, and out of state waivers to take the GED early are generally not accepted.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Married in Ohio.having a Hard Time

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Pity it didn't occur to you to check the requirements for getting a GED in Ohio before you took a couple of irrevocable steps. In order to enroll for a GED in Ohio, you have to be 19 years of age. Yes, that's 19, not 18. It is not a typo. (HINT: Emancipation, whether by marriage or any other method, does not make other age-related laws and regulations go away.) Your only HOPE of an exception is to have the superintendent of schools from your school district IN ARIZONA to complete the waiver form, if he will, and then keep your fingers crossed that Ohio will accept an out of state waiver.

Skipping over several steps of your life in order to play house isn't all it's cracked up to be, is it?
    You guys are about as shallow as 1st graders....
    first off...i'm not playing house, i have two kids, a husband, a job, and problems like everyone else, it's not playing it's real life, get with it.

secondly, if YOU do more research you can get your GED in ohio at 16+ WITH PARENTAL CONSENT.
    go look at that at http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/3301-41-01

thirdly: Once declared to be emancipated, minors have the same rights, privileges, and duties in society as adults. Although the specific rules vary among the states, emancipated minors can typically do the following:

Enter into contracts and leases
    Be a party to a law suit (either as a plaintiff or a defendant) in their own name
    Buy or sell real estate or other property
    Write a valid will
    Inherit property
    Enroll in school
    Get married
    Agree to various types of medical treatment
    Emancipated minors can also vote and obtain a driver's license, but only if they are of sufficient age to do so.

look that up on http://family.findlaw.com/emancipati...rivileges.html

And lastly, i'm already several steps ahead of you guys, i'm already registered to take the ged, i took a fee waiver practice ged test and passed, so now i don't have to pay for it, and the akron ohio school board said they can do my waiver, because it's within the district where i LIVE....thats not the issue. look that up too:

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templa...&Content=61488

so...don't let the number 17 fool you, I have all my info intact, i'm just having a little trouble trying to get one of the things on my list of things that need to be done in my life.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    ...and cross them hard. See, we have graduation tests here in Ohio now, and out of state waivers to take the GED early are generally not accepted.
    You can get the board of education to sign the waiver you, because that's where i reside....thats what ohio board of ed. told me and u can look it up on ohio.gov

You have a husband, kids, and a job. Big deal. Me too. So what?

If you have all the answers, why are you here, wasting our time? Don't you have Real Life to be attending to?
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.

well if you have that too, you should see where i'm coming from, and i was hoping to get a reply from someone who actually knows the law, not some bored person that wants to type opinions..this is EXPERTLAW.com right?

Information provided in the forum is not intended to substitute for professional advice, including but not limited to professional legal advice. If you submit a question or comment it is assumed that you are interested in soliciting, receiving or giving general information and not legal advice. Laws vary by state, and the laws described in this forum may be different in your state or may have been changed since the information was posted. The legal help offered in this forum comes from volunteers who may not have any formal legal training or knowledge, and all information should be confirmed with a qualified legal professional. All information is made available on an "as is" basis. You should accept legal advice only from a licensed legal professional with whom you have an attorney-client relationship. Use of this forum is subject to the ExpertLaw terms of use.
    The fine print is your friend.

Frankly, I don't think anyone is going to be inclined to research your problem for you, given that you're in here dripping snotty all over the shoes of VOLUNTEERS.

I know I'm not going to. There are plenty other people in need of help who don't throw attitude around.

But UHH if you read above, I got criticized right off the bat
    from "cbg"...stating..
    "Skipping over several steps of your life in order to play house isn't all it's cracked up to be, is it? "

That's why i'm throwing attitude..because what does that have to do with anything??

Am i complaining about my life?? NOOO.. all i wanted was a valid, educated response! not criticism! I don't have time for that! And by me stating that i have kids and all that, was a way of defending myself! and FRANKLY, if a person doesn't want to research something before they reply to my question..don't reply! but don't just be saying anything.

You got criticized by cbg and, to show us what a grown-up you are, you're "throwing attitude" yourself? Color me impressed.

Did you have any remaining legal questions?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast