Default 5th Degree Theft Iowa

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Iowa

Hi everyone, tonight i was caught stealing 95 dollars worth of merchandise from a local comic book store. this was my first time and iknow it was really dumb. i've never done anything so stupid in my entire life. i am 18 and a freshman in college. i'm scheduled to appear in court on march 23. i am so lost right now i just want to end it all. i am just really curious on what will happen to me. i kinda tried to run but he got my arm so i just thought better to stop from there. the cops were called and i was handcuffed ( does that mean i was arrested? cause i was never taken anywhere, i was unhandcuffed soon after).
    what do you guys think i should do and what will happen to me. i have little to no money to pay the fines that are to come because i am in college. i just have no idea what to do...all i know is that it will never happen again. = / it just seems easier to quit then to face my family and friends.

Default Re: 5th Degree Theft Iowa

If you were never taken to a station then there is no record of your arrest, which means legally you were never arrested. I would get an attorney, there might be programs where you can get the charges dismissed or deferred for community service and good behaviour. Usually this type of records can be expunged, so its not something that will ruin the rest of your life.

there is a problem because i cannot afford an attourney. i am a broke college student. i also think this will ruin my scholarship...

get a public defender. If this is not on campus, universities usually don't get involved until AFTER you are convicted. Get that public defender now to dismiss these charges.

could you please point me in the right direction of getting one? i really don't know where to go. and you think they can be dismissed even though i was caught on camera?

You have to contact your local jurisidication to find one. They USUALLY go lenient on 1st time offenders, no guarantees.

is there any possible way to get to a diversion program without going through a public defender? i really need a little more help on this and know my possible consequences...

1. Sponsored Links