Default Request for Discovery in Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

My local energy company let my dog out of my fenced yard and my neighbor cornered the dog and it bit him. I am being charged with two misdemeanors. I believe I can prove the case myself without hiring a lawyer but I do not know how to do the proper procedures. I want to find out the statement that my neighbor gave to the police and any other documentation they may have. I think a request for discovery has to be made but I do not know how to properly do this. I know the easy answer is to get a lawyer but if I can find out this information myself I would rather go that route. I have tried finding example requests for discovery but to no avail. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. As an aside I plan on getting a resident in my neighborhood who will testify that the energy company was in our neighborhood that day since the energy company will not help me out. I am sure because they are covering their own behinds. Would I have to provide the prosecuter with the witness information and if so how would I go about doing that. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Request for Discovery in Michigan

You may be able to obtain a copy of the police report from the prosecutor. You can also get one through FOIA at the police department, but it usually takes about a week.

Discovery in criminal cases is governed by MCR 6.201.

Thumbs down Re: Request for Discovery in Michigan

Aaron,
    Thank you for your reply. I asked for the police report using the FOIA and they denied it saying they can not give the report because the case is still under investiigatiion. It also said we had to make a formal request under discovery. That was not the exact language but I think you get the jist of what it said.

1. Sponsored Links