Default Is a Parent Liable for Child Support if Minor Child Has a Baby

My question involves child support in the State of: FLORIDA

I just found out my 16 year old son is trying to get his 16 yr old girlfriend pregnant. I don't approve but I don't have custody of him and so have no control.

I am paying child support to his father and am the non-custodial parent. If/when my son gets his girlfriend pregnant, will I be liable to support both him and his child?

Does who has custody of the minor parent make any difference in liability?
    I ask this because my ex seems willing to give me custody all of a sudden...

Default Re: FL: Is Parent Liable for Child Support if Minor Child Has a Baby

Quote Quoting FLMom
    View Post

I just found out my 16 year old son is trying to get his 16 yr old girlfriend pregnant. I don't approve but I don't have custody of him and so have no control.

I am paying child support to his father and am the non-custodial parent. If/when my son gets his girlfriend pregnant, will I be liable to support both him and his child?

You and your sons father are responsible for the support of YOUR child. IF your son is stupidly allowed, by the BOTH of you, to continue on his current path and is successful in impregnating his GF, THEY (son and girlfriend) are responsible for the support of their child.

Your son should be on lock-down with no contact with this girl allowed.

Default Re: Is a Parent Liable for Child Support if Minor Child Has a Baby

Your son should be on lock-down with no contact with this girl allowed.
    That would be nice, if it worked. I was in the same position, where my daughter was trying to get pregnant at 15, and my ex wife transferred custody to me. I tried forbidding contact, but she kept sneaking out:

from her window, so I secured it with a lock
    From the bus stop, so I started driving her to school
    from school, so I talked to them , and they told me they could not be held responsible
    On the weekends, she would wait until I went to the bathroom or fell asleep, and then went out the door

It got to the point where I felt like I was running a prison camp. I was so glad when she turned 18, and moved in with her boy friend. They have since gotten together and broken up numerous times over the two years she has been living with him. Still no grandkids. I hope she grows up sooner or later.

To answer the OP's question, you will not be liable for child support, but your son will.

Quote Quoting FLMom
    View Post

Both you and your ex will still be responsible for your son's support.

Once a baby is born, your son and the mother of his child will be responsible for your thier child's support.

Thanks all for the responses. I am going to take custody of my son but wanted to understand my pending (potential) liabilities.

To Baystategirl - you should really not make judgement calls when you don't have the facts.

As for the "Lock down"...PLEASE!! I hope you are blessed enough to have respectful children.

BTW - I did pay all my life savings to put him in a lock down facility since he was on drugs and was not controlling his anger. That seems to be resolved now, but still has the girlfriend issue.

The state of Florida, in its infinite wisdom, thinks children should decide which parent to live with...gee, let me see, I'm 13 years old and I can:
    - live with mom, who will supervise, dicipline, watch my schoolwork, etc
    - or live with dad, who will buy me toys, try to be my buddy (when it's convenient) and let me run wild.
    Duh, what do they think a kid will chose.?!!

I consulted several lawyers and they all told me the same thing-
    "Until he fails out of school, gets expelled or gets arrested, you don't have a chance in hell of getting custody unless the child requests it. You'll have to wait until then and try to fix the damage."

Well here I am. Trying to do just that.

If you've got the $400 a day to put him in lockdown, I'll send you my address.

1. Sponsored Links