Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re: Unemployment Benefits After Taking Temporary Freelance Work

I'm in California and just got a notice that a "Telephone interview has been scheduled for you" and my benefits are on hold until I am "determined eligible and your continued claim form is received."
    I also have been receiving unemployment benefits for about six weeks after working for an art print publisher for nine years. I took a freelance job a couple weeks ago. I'm a graphic artist and was contracted to do 12 pieces that would be put on canvas and hung in an office as part of a interior update. I contracted the job for $1080.00 design fees plus printing costs. Fairly easy photoshop work on existing photos. Took me one full day, 8 hrs, for my part. I reported that to EDD and now I have to prove, I suppose, that I'm not scamming anyone before I can have my benefits reinstated. Of course I'm terrified I won't answer a question correctly and I'll be screwed. Calling the office beforehand with my concerns was impossible as I never was able to speak with a real person no matter when or how many times I called. Bottom line, I wait, and with no income at all. Any advice from anyone?

The best thing you can do (and sorry, this won't soothe your nerves) is tell the truth.

When you say "this won't soothe your nerves" are you saying there's something in my explanation that will be looked on unfavorably? Because that is the truth and it's all I have.

No, I'm just saying that it doesn't resolve your anxiety - you're still in "wait and see" mode.

Default Re: Unemployment Benefits on Hold

On your claim form they will ask if you worked, weather you got paid or not. They also ask if you got paid for any work and how much. You will have to tell them how much you made and it will be deducted from your unemployment.

But why "wait and see"? See what? See if I get someone who's having a bad day and decides I don't get unemployment anymore? I worked for nine years at the same company, earned a good salary, got laid off and had an opportunity to make some money doing what I do so I took it. Had I known it would start this potential disaster I would have thrown the check in a drawer until I didn't need unemployment anymore and not taken another job until it was a full time one. That's how they encourage you to work!?

Meanwhile I have no income.

We are not psychics. We cannot predict the future. We don't know how much money you will make in your business if you continue to take clients. Neither do you. So we can't give you a firm answer about what will happen in the future based upon an unknown quantity of self-employment income.

In terms of the income you've already earned, as they say, the die has been cast. I expect that things will work out, but the only way to know is to wait and see what the decision is.

Mr Knowitall, must you use terms like "the die has been cast" ? You're freaking me out .

Not to be thick here but I'm not clear on your first paragraph about how much money I will make in the future or an unknown quantity of self-employment to come. What has that to do with the decision on this very precise amount of money I made and this very precise amount of time I spent making it? And I do appreciate your patience.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast