Default Is It Possible to Adopt My Granddaughter

My question involves adoption law for the State of: Missouri

I have had gaurdianship of my granddaughter for around 8 1/2 years when her parents signed away their rights. I am trying to look towards the future for her and I would like to adopt her. Her mother is a recovering alcoholic and is disabled and I haven't heard anything of her father since he signed over his parental rights. Neither one has ever paid any child support and it has only been within the last couple of years that the mother has been allowed to visit her because of her drinking and even now it is maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I need to know if it is possible that I can adopt her and if it is, how likely will it be that I can. She and I want this very much as I am the only mother she has ever known.

Default Re: Is It Possible to Adopt My Granddaughter

Quote Quoting llgates
    View Post
    My question involves adoption law for the State of: Missouri

I have had gaurdianship of my granddaughter for around 8 1/2 years when her parents signed away their rights. I am trying to look towards the future for her and I would like to adopt her. Her mother is a recovering alcoholic and is disabled and I haven't heard anything of her father since he signed over his parental rights. Neither one has ever paid any child support and it has only been within the last couple of years that the mother has been allowed to visit her because of her drinking and even now it is maybe 2 or 3 times a month. I need to know if it is possible that I can adopt her and if it is, how likely will it be that I can. She and I want this very much as I am the only mother she has ever known.
    First, you'll need to know for sure if the parents' parental rights were actually terminated. Do you have a court order that specifically terminated BOTH parent's rights?

If you do, you won't need to get both parents' permission. However, if thier parental rights were not terminated by court order, you'll need to get both parent's permission, or get a court order.

The best thing to do right now will be for you to take all existing court orders to a local attorney for a consult. The attorney will be able to tell you the steps you'll need to take, based on what the court orders state.

We went to an attorneys' office and they both signed papers terminating their rights and I have the papers of guardianship plus a lot more papers that I have kept filed away for years, I assume that they are the ones they signed but I will check to be sure. I have to fill out paperwork once a year stating her progress in school and her physical state. Is that what you are talking about?

Quote Quoting llgates
    View Post
    We went to an attorneys' office and they both signed papers terminating their rights and I have the papers of guardianship plus a lot more papers that I have kept filed away for years, I assume that they are the ones they signed but I will check to be sure. I have to fill out paperwork once a year stating her progress in school and her physical state. Is that what you are talking about?
    Were any of the papers that the parents signed relinquishing thier rights, ever filed with the court?
    If they were, did a Judge sign an order that legally terminated the parents' rights?

If the answer is no, that is the first thing you'll need to do, get both parents' permissions to relinquish rights and allow the adoption.

A good place to start will be for you to get a consult with the same attorney that drew up the guardianship.

I am sure that it is through the court because my paperwork is stamped by the court. Times are so tough that I was wondering if I can file this myself. If so, can you let me know where to start and who to file with. Thank you so much!

Quote Quoting llgates
    View Post
    I am sure that it is through the court because my paperwork is stamped by the court. Times are so tough that I was wondering if I can file this myself. If so, can you let me know where to start and who to file with. Thank you so much!
    If both parents are willing to agree, you can probably file pro-se. Get a consult with an attorney though to make sure.

1. Sponsored Links