Default Moving Out Without Parental Permission

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: TEXAS

My daughter, now 16 wants to move out when 17. No abuse in home. I support her. She just wants to do what ever she wants. I know in Dallas, TX if she can prove that she can support herself on her own she can move out. However, I've been told that the law is different depending on the county the minor lives in. I need to know the laws for DENTON County. I've been told by her therapist that in Collin County Texas, not allowed until 18. Also, does the fact that she is in counseling and under a psychiatrists care come into play in the decision??
    Desperate parent not wanting child to move.

Default Re: What Denton County Texas Laws Regarding 17 Year Old Moving Out Without Parental P

Until she is 18, she does what you tell her to do. In addition, you are responsible for her financially and legally until 18.

Unless she is unusually responsible, I vote no.

Default Re: Moving Out Without Parental Permission

thank you. However, in the state of TEXAS she can move out at age 17 if she can prove she can support herself while living alone. This is in Dallas County. I want to know about denton county texas.

Your vote is well appreciated, and the same as mine.

Please respect the forum rules against double-posting.

If you want to know what the police will do in any given county, you need to ask them. The law is the same throughout Texas. The difference is what the police will or will not do to enforce it.

So by police, do you also mean the courts? In dallas county it is legal if the minor can prove they can support themselves, however, in Collin County, Texas, it is not legal for a 17 year old to move out regardless.

Quote Quoting sgoodhue
    View Post
    So by police, do you also mean the courts? In dallas county it is legal if the minor can prove they can support themselves, however, in Collin County, Texas, it is not legal for a 17 year old to move out regardless.
    Please post the statute that states that the age of majority in Dallas County is 17.

Thanks.

I said "police" not "courts", although that too is standard throughout the state. Texas juvenile courts have jurisdiction over offenses committed by juveniles below the age of 17.

The age of majority in Texas is 18.

17 is NOT considered 18 light... or else the age of majority would be 17.

Teens LIVE for the fact that, in some cases, the police are less vigilant in pursuing 17 year old runaways because of a variety of factors. Including parental apathy.

However, if the PARENTS of that 17 year old call the police and insist that child be returned, he/she will be.

Your kid is feeding you a load of crap. Tell her that the moment she leaves, you will have the police drag her back.

Repeatedly.

We've discussed this in a number of threads: Sometimes when the juvenile courts don't have jurisdiction over status offenses, even though the minor has not yet reached the age of majority, the police will choose not to involve themselves in forcing a teen to return home. In Texas, that could well translate into a department policy that they won't force a 17-year-old runaway to go back home, because they have no mechanism to enforce it - they can end up in an endless cycle of having the teen run away, returning him back home, and having him run away again five minutes after they leave.

This is a hole created by legislatures as they've tried to push more young offenders into adult courts, but haven't adapted juvenile court jurisdiction or age of majority laws to reflect this particular scenario.

1. Sponsored Links