Default Federal Statute of Limitations, Delay of Mail

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Federal
    I was convicted in 2000 for delay of mail when i was unable to deliver all of my route in the set time i was given. I was caught with several pieces from days prior in my postal truck and a few pieces in my personal car. For this offense i recieved probation and house arrest. Now, i hid mail one other place and forgot about it, well it was found recently and i may be facing charges again for this crime. My question is if i have already been convicted of this crime in 2000, this is basically additional evidence that has just surfaced, would this be past the 5 year statute of limitations of federal crimes? Would this be double jeopardy because i have already been convicted and sentanced? How should i deal with this?

Thanks

Default Re: Federal Statute of Limitations, Delay of Mail (Postal)

If you are again facing federal charges for the crime, this is serious (as you know) and you need to consult a criminal defense attorney immediately to examine your options. There are exceptions to a double jeopardy defense but only a criminal defense attorney would know if they pertain to your case.

If you don't have one, you might want to contact your state bar association for attorney references.

I'm currently shopping for an attorney, I do know that federal crimes such as this hold a 5 year statute of limitations, the crime was committed 9 years ago when i was young and dumb. I'm really trying to put my mind at ease.

Quote Quoting johnc
    View Post
    I'm really trying to put my mind at ease.
    Until you consult with an attorney who deals in criminal law, you're not going to put your mind at ease. There are a lot of variables here that only he/she will be able to sort out and get to the bottom of.

Default Re: Federal Statute of Limitations, Delay of Mail

thanks for the quick response, I have been contacted by a postal inspector who wants to meet me friday. I'm really confused he wants to meet at a coffee shop. He said "We are going to have to talk about this". Should i have my attorney with me at this meeting?

Are there exceptions to Federal statute of limitations when it deals with property crimes such as this?

Quote Quoting johnc
    View Post
    Are there exceptions to Federal statute of limitations when it deals with property crimes such as this?

You obviously know the US Code section/chapter that was violated. If you are sure the SOL is 5 years.

If you were tried and convicted, as you infer DJ before, IF they intend to charge again, the SAME offense, unless they intend to prove you kept mail on purpose, DJ may apply, yes.

Since DJ IS for the SAME offense, IF any new charge is a violation of another code section/chapter, you would need a competent Federal Criminal defense attorney to help you see if DJ did indeed attach. This is arguable??

You did not fully provide restitution because ALL the mail was not returned, which was a condition of probation, I am sure?

It sound slike a meeting to determine if a revocation of probation is in order? How long were you put on probation?

6 months, This happened 9 years ago. I've talked to 2 lawyers that were recommended to me and i am currently waiting for one of them to call me back. I'm just so worried about what will happen, i made this mistake when i was in my early 20's. Now i have a family, house, good job, i just don't want to lose it all.

1. Sponsored Links