Default Does a Sign Have to Be Posted in a Handicapped Spot

I recievied a a ticket for parking in a handicap spot in Dearborn, MI
    There was no posted sign indicating this was a handicapped spot.
    So my question is are the blue lines on the ground enough?
    Does a sign have to be posted?
    On the day this happened it was late dark and snowing I honestly had no idea this was a handicap spot and there were no other handi cap spots on either side of the one i accidently parked in.

Default Re: Does a Sign Have to Be Posted in a Handicapped Spot

Every jurisdiction defines their requirements a little differently. Parking issues in city limits are usually governed by a city ordinance, or, lacking a specific city level ordinance, a county level one. The ordinance should lay out the requirements for a designated space including size, colors, signage, etc.

You can check the online codes (ordinances) for your city/county at http://www.municode.com

I did a quick run through for City of Dearborn and didn't see an applicable one, so you might start by checking the county. The ticket itself should have the exact ordinance number that applies written on it and that can help narrow your search.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

The MI statute that I found is MCL 257-951, which gives local governments the power to designate parking for persons with disabilities. Paragraph (5) states:
    Quote Quoting MCL 257-951
    (5) Notwithstanding the requirements of the uniform traffic code, a sign designating a parking space for persons with disabilities shall be 12 inches by 18 inches or larger and shall be either blue or white and at a minimum contain the international handicapped symbol in contrasting colors of either blue or white in the center of the sign.
    Note that this does not MANDATE a sign, rather it defines what such a sign must look like.

But, Aardvarc is right, check your local ordinances. Oh, and as soon as possible, go take pictures of the spot showing that there is no sign -- just in case they erect one in the meantime.

Barry
    Where am I going? And why am I in this handbasket?

Dearborn's muncipal code provides,
    Quote Quoting Sec. 18-726. Definitions.
    The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this subdivision, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this section, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:

Duly posted regulations shall mean a sign or other traffic control device in a parking area shall be deemed duly posted in compliance with the requirement of this subdivision if:
    (1) Such sign or traffic control device is placed within the parking area in a manner so as to adequately advise any person of the restricted conduct and is of size and shape and contains lettering approved by the police department.

(2) Such sign or traffic control device is placed within the parking area after a request for such sign or traffic control device has been made to the police department by either the owner or the person in charge of the general operation and control of the parking area, and the police department determines that such regulation is required by local conditions for the safety and convenience of the public or the users of the parking area. Such sign or traffic control device shall be purchased, installed and maintained at the sole expense of the property owner.
    Handicapped shall mean a person who has a physical characteristic categorized as a handicap, which limits ambulation or necessitates the use of a wheelchair for mobility, or a person who is blind.

Handicapped parking space shall mean a parking space 12 feet wide, marked off in traffic paint and inscribed with the international wheelchair symbol, or a reasonable facsimile thereof. A sign located approximately six feet abovegrade inscribed with the international wheelchair symbol, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, shall identify the handicapped space and shall contain notice of the possible fine for violation of the provisions of this subdivision and a statement that a permit, certificate of identification or a special registration plate, must be displayed.

Parking area shall mean an area used by the public as a means of access to an egress from, and for the free parking of motor vehicles by patrons of a shopping center, business, factory, hospital, institution or similar building or location.

Shopping center shall mean a minimum area of three acres of private land on which there is located one or more stores or business establishments, and where there is provided a parking area.

1. Sponsored Links