Default How Long to Get Arrest Warrant Issued

if someone is suspected of a crime, how long does it take before a warrant is issued ? for example: retail theft..........if a store suspects a individual has stolen from them and they decide to contact police, how long would it take police to put out a warrant on the person and could they arrest the person before a warrant is issued ?

Default Re: How Long to Get Arrest Warrant Issued

Quote Quoting shadykorn
    View Post
    if someone is suspected of a crime, how long does it take before a warrant is issued ? for example: retail theft..........if a store suspects a individual has stolen from them and they decide to contact police, how long would it take police to put out a warrant on the person and could they arrest the person before a warrant is issued ?

You did not list your state, but MOST states require an "in presence" requirement to effect a warrantless arrest for a misdemeanor, if the theft is not a felony that is.

If charges are pressed, a Summons will likely be sent. A warrant for arrest is not necessary.

How long? As long as it is within the statute of limitations to prosecute, this is generally the only requirement.

Ok it is in New jersey

So if someone was suspected of misdemeanor theft from a store , they would probably recieve a summons in the mail but no warrant would be put out ?

What if the person was on probation or parole, would their officer find out about it after it happened

My friend wants to call the courts to make sure he doenst have warrants out but he is paranoid that it is a bad idea
    He has to report to his PO soon and is scared they could know about what happened

Quote Quoting shadykorn
    View Post
    Ok it is in New jersey

So if someone was suspected of misdemeanor theft from a store , they would probably recieve a summons in the mail but no warrant would be put out ?

What if the person was on probation or parole, would their officer find out about it after it happened

My friend wants to call the courts to make sure he doenst have warrants out but he is paranoid that it is a bad idea
    He has to report to his PO soon and is scared they could know about what happened

From what I can determine in NJ, a misdemeanor must be committed "in presence" to be arrested without a warrant. I see no contemporaneous theft exception as some states have.

A warrant on complaint would need to be isssued for an arrest, but a Summons is more practical as it does not require a Judge's signature.

Unless the store presses charges, I don't see how the PO would find out?

I'm still confused ...........
    Basically he ran out of a store after alarms went off and employees saw him driving off in his car
    So if store could identify him and called police, most likely just a summons would be sent and no warrant would be put out ?
    If they identified him, would it be known to police that he was on parole and if so would they have contacted his PO ?
    If a summons was sent or warrant issued , aproximatly how long could it take ?
    If he calls court house to make sure he has no warrants, do they keep track of who is calling to check and is that a bad idea ?

Quote Quoting shadykorn
    View Post
    I'm still confused ...........
    Basically he ran out of a store after alarms went off and employees saw him driving off in his car
    So if store could identify him and called police, most likely just a summons would be sent and no warrant would be put out ?
    Most likely, yes, but that is not gospel.

If they identified him, would it be known to police that he was on parole and if so would they have contacted his PO ?
    Yes, the cops would run a check, if he was on parole, his PO would then be notified most likely, but until an arrest or summons is issued, IMO his parole can not be revoked simly because a charge is filed?? Unknown?

If a summons was sent or warrant issued , aproximatly how long could it take ?
    That depends on when a charge is filed. A charge may be filed a month down the road and they could arrest/cite any time within the Statute of limitations, but IF a charge is filed, expect a notice within a general time frame of a month.

If he calls court house to make sure he has no warrants, do they keep track of who is calling to check and is that a bad idea ?
    I'd personally forget that idea!

Hey hope i'm not driving you nuts............
    1 Ok , so usually only a summons is issued for a misdemeanor such as shoplifting, not a warrant ? So the police couldnt show up at his door and arrest him simply because he was identified, maybe by his license plates ?
    2 If his PO was notified would they wait for him to report to lock him up or would they come and get him ?
    3 Why would it take so long to get a summons ? If police were notified after it happened why cant they put one out right away?
    4 Would you expect a store to prosecute for this situation most likely ?
    5 So you are saying if he calls to check if he has warrants , that is just atracting attention to himself ?

Quote Quoting shadykorn
    View Post
    Hey hope i'm not driving you nuts............
    1 Ok , so usually only a summons is issued for a misdemeanor such as shoplifting, not a warrant ? So the police couldnt show up at his door and arrest him simply because he was identified, maybe by his license plates ?

2 If his PO was notified would they wait for him to report to lock him up or would they come and get him ?

A summons would probably be issued, but since he is on probation, they may take it a little different and obtain a warrant, but it is a guess at how they would do it, areas and cities you will find are different in procedure than others. I really can't say one way or another.

3 Why would it take so long to get a summons ? If police were notified after it happened why cant they put one out right away?
    Investigations take time, and it may not be a high priority to manpower hours a potential shoplifer right now, IF that is a report/complaint was filed.

4 Would you expect a store to prosecute for this situation most likely ?
    Stores are different in prosecution policies. Some will try to fry a kid for taking a pack of gum, so will just say don't come back again.

5 So you are saying if he calls to check if he has warrants , that is just atracting attention to himself ?
    I agree, bad idea!

I still dont understand why sometimes only a summons is issued and sometimes a warrant is issued.......................
    And what investigation would they have to do , if a employee saw the license plate number ,isnt that enough to go by , plus probably having it on camera? They may even have the parking lot on surveillance too
    He brought back the stuff that he took the next day and left it by the door........It was under $200 of stuff so hopefully they got it back and wouldnt prosecute.........
    And if he does call to check warrants, what can they possibly do, isnt it public info if someone has a warrant out?

1. Sponsored Links