Post First Time Shoplifting Offender, Arrested, Guilty or Not-Guilty

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Illinois

I was caught shoplifting at a local Walmart. Totaling $28, I cooperated and gave all the asked for information to the LPs. The police were called and I was brought down to the station, fingerprinted and photographed.

I am 18 years old, 19 in a few days, this was my first time offense for ANYTHING, no speeding tickets or anything.

I am living on my own and obviously do not want to go to my parents about this, but I am not sure when to seek legal help, attourneys, court appointed lawyers or what not. I have very little money and just want to go about this thing as quickly and painlessly as possible. my own guilt and humiliation is more punishment than anything.

But, I am wondering if I should plead guilty, I know I am guilty, I just want to get this whole thing over with; but am not sure if that's the right move.
    Also, I am not sure what kind of financial dent this is going to put in my bare wallet.
    Please help, I just want to put all of this behind me

Default Re: First Time Shoplifting Offender, Arrested, Guilty or Not-Guilty

DO NOT plead Guilty, even though you very much are.

You won't get a lighter sentence for telling the truth - rather, you'll tie the court's hands and toss any chance for leniency right out the window.

Show up for court, plead Not Guilty, and ask for a Public Defender. (A Public Defender is a licensed, practicing attorney who works for and is paid by the state, rather than working in private practice.)

Your PD will work to help you resolve the situation such that you should have only fines, restitution, and probably a diversion program.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Thank you very much.
    Okay, so plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. then at the next court date there will be the walmart people there right, what happens then? and how much should i expect this to cost me/ how long do you think until i can move past all this?

But how does he sign on the Summon at hand? I guess the Summon has a payment duedate, which probably is early than the court date? Plea guilty or not guilty?

Please don't hijack someone else's thread, post your own please.

1. Sponsored Links