Default Can Car Dealers Sell a Used Car Without the Title

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas.

Almost a year ago I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in the Dallas area. I am not a resident of Texas and a college student and was in a bind, I needed a car quickly. I was suspicious about several things of this dealership but it seemed to have a good name at least in new car sales. When I was buying the car, the salesman verbally told me the car has a clean title. A little down the road he said because of the different state issues (I was buying in Texas, not paying sales tax because I'm from Oregon and also wanted to register the car through Oregon) that I would have to complete a bunch of paperwork because they didn't have the title. I being an idiot in hindsight, agreed thinking that since this was Texas, they probably have different ways of doing titling.

To make a long story short, it's been almost a year that I've been trying to work with both Texas and Oregon trying to work out ways to get the title. Essentially someone in the Texas departments told me that it was illegal of the dealership to sell me this car. I want to know if this is true (I'm trying to find the applicable laws) and whether I would have a fair shot at confronting the dealership and getting my money back. I'm assuming they are going to say no even if legally I have a right to get my money back. Should I pursue legal help? Any advice?

Collin

Default Re: Can Car Dealers Sell a Used Car Without the Title

Quote Quoting collinhale
    View Post
    My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Texas.

Almost a year ago I purchased a vehicle from a dealership in the Dallas area. I am not a resident of Texas and a college student and was in a bind, I needed a car quickly. I was suspicious about several things of this dealership but it seemed to have a good name at least in new car sales. When I was buying the car, the salesman verbally told me the car has a clean title. A little down the road he said because of the different state issues (I was buying in Texas, not paying sales tax because I'm from Oregon and also wanted to register the car through Oregon) that I would have to complete a bunch of paperwork because they didn't have the title. I being an idiot in hindsight, agreed thinking that since this was Texas, they probably have different ways of doing titling.

To make a long story short, it's been almost a year that I've been trying to work with both Texas and Oregon trying to work out ways to get the title. Essentially someone in the Texas departments told me that it was illegal of the dealership to sell me this car. I want to know if this is true (I'm trying to find the applicable laws) and whether I would have a fair shot at confronting the dealership and getting my money back. I'm assuming they are going to say no even if legally I have a right to get my money back. Should I pursue legal help? Any advice?

Collin
    In Texas as in most states, it is against the law for a dealer or anyone else to sell a car for which they do not own title to.

You need to file a criminial complaint with the county attorney where you purchased the car. You should also take the dealer to small claims court to recover any money you have paid. However, not knowing how much this transaction is for it may be over the small claims limit.
    My posts are not intended to offend anyone. I am sorry if they have.

When it comes to your FICO scores you are dinged if you do and dinged if you dont

1. Sponsored Links